WELCOME TO DEATH ISLAND

Discussion in 'Another Basement' started by inexpediency, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Tesseract

Tesseract Regrets Choices Thus Far

The Cardinal discovers a transmutation machine in the plains. On one of the platforms sits 5 oz Sweet Baby Ray's sliced seasoned pork shoulder with sauce, for some unfathomable reason. He pockets it.

(two? machine must demand two birds!)

The Cardinal tosses some breadcrumbs on the platforms, causing the birds to peck at them for a minute. Nothing happens.

(hmm...)

The Cardinal inserts two coins into the slot and waits for a bit. Nothing continues to happen.

(ah, of course. only a wise man such as myself could reject the lies fed to us by the reptilians and see this simple truism)

The Cardinal pushes the birds off and places the joke book on one platform and the pork shoulder on the other.
  2. You were taken quite by surprise when the machine took what little paper remained and turned it into a complete book.

"It...can make things?"

Well of course. Nothing on this island made sense anymore, so why would this?

"This'll definitely be helpful though. We should make sure we keep the location...I'm gonna borrow one of these okay?"

You rip out a piece of paper from the new book.

"We should probably start mapping out this place, if we want to get back or get out at least."

((Inex what color is the chalk? Is it just white?

Edit: Thank you based Inex.))

You draw on the paper a rough map of the locations you know so far, marking where you came from as well as the locations you saw when you were on the tree.

"Not really that exact, but it'll give us a general idea of where we are."

You look back at Trace.

"Whenever you're done messin with the machine let's head east to that open plain area."

If Trace agrees, head for the east, leaving marks on the trees along the way indicating the direction of the strange machine.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2014
  3. inexpediency

inexpediency Ruler of this [CHAT]

((it's multicolor chalk))
  4. Triangle Man

Triangle Man Cautiously Optimistic

> Fair enough," you say. "I don't have much else that I can or want to make right now anyways. I think that we should definitively 1) Follow your suggestion."

After a moment, you look at the Cardinal, who is in the process of using the machine himself, and ask "But should we bring that man with us?"_
  5. inexpediency

((the cardinal is at an entirely different machine))
  6. inexpediency

MARIA GRACE ROBINSON
    Walk forward: You dutifully trek on east.
    Look at surroundings: As you draw closer to the chest, you can see a dirt path extending north from it into the grassy plains. Looking down the path, you can see...something, very very far to the north. Looking east, the beach continues on for a long while.
    Go to chest: You come upon a large wooden chest lodged in the sand. It is locked with a simple padlock, and a plate above the lock is inscribed with the number 4.

JIM
    Share granola bar: You successfully do this. Why was that so hard?
    Approach chest: You see, as Maria sees, a locked wooden chest labelled "4". You might be able to try and open it...

TED
    Eat granola bar: Granola success! No muss, no fuss.
    Run in a random direction: You run east, and...
    Punch the first thing you see: Which is Jim. You punch Jim.
    You have received 1 Chocolate House fudgie rabbit.

NASTALYA VANDERBRAUM
    Restrain Ted: You restrain him quickly and effectively. Do be careful not to hurt the poor dear.

THE CARDINAL
    Trasmute: The two platforms descend into the machine as it emits a loud whirring. Seconds later, a barbecue recipe book emerges from a center platform.
    You have received 1 coin.

NICKI DURANTE
    Rip out paper: Paper ripped successfully.
    Head east: See below.
    Mark trees: You try, but the chalk just won't make very good marks anymore. What a shame.

GAMBLER TRACE BELLAMY
    Head east: You pass through the edge of the woods and arrive in the grassy plains. It seems as if someone has been here recently. There seems to be an object somewhere farther to the east.
    You have received 5 coins.

SPECIAL EVENTS
    None.

INVENTORIES
    JIM
    Camera (with 1 roll of film), superglue (4 uses), book of matches (19 uses), 85g Beech-Nut Homestyle Stage 3 Cinnamon Raisin Granola, 8 fl oz Swiss Premium orange lemon splash juice drink
    9 coins
    Current alliances: Ted, Maria

TED
    Pail, drinking straw 1 Burger King Rodeo Cheeseburger
    5 coins
    Current alliances: Jim, Nastalya

NICKI DURANTE
    Whip, washcloth, box of chalk, 5 cherries, 15 pieces Herr's buffalo blue cheese curls, 2 pieces Perdue baked chicken breast strip, 8 fl oz peach lemonade
    0 coins

GAMBLER TRACE BELLAMY
    Craft book (some pages missing), craft book, 2 grams garlic and herb salad dressing mix
    9 coins

THE CARDINAL
    Laser pointer, barbecue recipe book
    4 coins

MARIA GRACE ROBINSON
    Wedding band, spoon, pocketknife, rock, scissors, football, .5 cups Nature's Promise vanilla almond granola, 8 fl oz no sugar added pomegranate cherry juice
    6 coins
    Current alliances: Jim

NASTALYA VANDERBRAUM
    71g Gerber Nature Select first foods apples, 1 Archway soft oatmeal cookie, 5 Ruffles reduced fat potato chips, 1 Lean Cuisine Culinary Collection beef pot roast meal
    5 coins
    Current alliances: Ted
  7. Almost Human

Almost Human Mightest of the Drunks Staff Member Bürgermeister

(( I'm going to be out most of the day tomorrow so I may be a little late to respond, sorry in advance ))
  8. gingerale

gingerale Dread Pirate

Maria exclaims audibly in shock and recoils back as Ted suddenly assaults Jim feeling the strike almost as if she had been hit herself. The german sounding woman, Nastalya, Maria recalls, pins Ted down quickly and Maria moves to Jim to see if he's hurt. She ensures that the Russian boy is fine and moves him away from Ted leaving Nastalya to handle him.

Maria seats Jim on the chest and checks him to see if there is anything wrong. A memory surfaces in her mind how her younger two sons would fight each other constantly and the eldest would break the fight and she would move in to check if either is hurt in similar fashion to this. A smile breaks on Maria's face as she goes through the very familiar motions.
  9. inexpediency

((for the sake of AHs response: you are successful at both of those things, and Jim has a bruise on his cheek))
  10. Almost Human

(( sorry guys, I really want to draw something for this response that I have worked out but don't have the time at the moment and probably won't for a few days. Should I forget the pic and just write it out, or let people take their turns ahead of me. Which would be better?))
  11. inexpediency

((it's totally up to you))
  12. Almost Human

(( okay, I think I'll let others go ahead of me for now then, my vacation is keeping me pretty busy but I should be able to post by Sunday night if that's alright ))
  13. ectocal

ectocal Hapster

Oof!

Wha...what happened?

Ted doesn't remember. Why does it feel like there's sand in his mouth? Oh, it's because he's lying face-first on the beach. Okay.

...Wait, why is he doing that?

Ted lifts his face to see Maria tending to Jim's face; it looks like it took quite a hit. Oh god, what happened to our fearless leader?? Ted swears revenge on whatever horrible monster could have done this.

Hold on, where's his buddy?? THE BUDDY SYSTEM CANNOT BE COMPROMISED! Ted tries to get up to search for her, but before he can, he feels a twist on his arm and realizes there's something heavy on his back.

"Vhat are you doeeng!?!? Hafe you gone eensane?"

Oh, what a relief. There she is. Why she's on Ted's back and restraining him is anyone's guess, though. Crazy German. She even knocked his bucket off! It's laying a few feet ahead right in front...of....Ted's face....hold up.....

Ooohhh, HOLD UP...that smell...is that...Easter candy? It is! Ted spies a small festively decorated pouch, just large enough to conceivably house some kind of delicious confection. It's no ham steak, but it's still a valuable provision.

"BUNNY!" he shouts. He's sure that after whatever happened, this will be good news to everyone.

Ted tries to stand up without harming Nastalya so he can retrieve the candy and his precious bucket.

Ted takes a second look at Jim's face and renews his pledge to bring justice to whomever is responsible.
  14. Varkarrus

Varkarrus I have class

Nastalya is a very large person, but this man is both freakishly large, and frankly kind of smelly. A combination of the former, the latter, and his sudden declaration of BUNNY led Nastalya to release him in surprise. As Nastalya watches the lumbering fool scramble across the ground to grab a suspicious candy receptacle, she turns to Jim and Maria and shrugs. He really did go insane. Instead, she presses onwards to open the chest, with or without Ted.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
  15. Tesseract

Tesseract Regrets Choices Thus Far

The Cardinal picks the barbeque recipe book off the platform and starts reading it by turning to random pages.

(no ingredients, no ingredients, no ingredients...)

The Cardinal has nothing that could be used to make food.

(no ingredients, no ingredients... eat paper maybe? unsure of nutritional value)

(recipe on this page looks VERY nutritious... hmm...)

The Cardinal tears out this page and tries to eat it. It does not taste good. He spits it out into the grass.

(eh. good enough for birds, good enough for me.)

The Cardinal then reaches for his bag of breadcrumbs and crams some into his mouth. His hunger not alleviated at all, he turns back to the transmutation machine.

(some sort of combination machine? hmm)

The Cardinal, feeling scammed by his worthless barbeque book, punches the coin return slot for several minutes until a coin falls out. He transmutes the laser pointer and the coin.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
  16. Almost Human

(( IIIiii haven't gotten the free time I thought I would post vacation and have no idea when I'll finish that pic so I'm just gonna move without it ))

The world slows, all sounds seem to mute and as you watch the fist arc right towards your face all you can hear is his voice, reminding you once again:
    You're too damn nice to strangers. It's going to get you killed.
    You can't dodge, you don't have the reflexes for it.
    You can't fight, you don't have the heart for it.
    So you prepare yourself, ready to roll with the punch to minimize damage. You're shocked at how much time you have to think in this single moment, laughing a little to yourself that this will make the second hit you've ever received as well as the second blow to your head. You hope the fist to your face will do less damage than the billy club did to the back of your head.
    If not, you start to wonder where you'll wake up this time. If you wake u-
    WHAM.
    You go down, but only for a moment.
    You scramble back to your feet with the older woman there to keep you steady. You're dazed, a bit shocked, but nothing seems broken. Your nose is bleeding a little once again and you can already feel your cheek start to swell. You want to run through your nursing procedures but you can't seem to focus so you let Maria go about her fussing.
    They're all off their meds. You find yourself thinking. Or the stress has caused them to snap.
    You can't bring yourself to think the worst of any of them, but you won't leave Maria alone with Ted anymore, just in case.
    You can feel your thoughts re-knitting themselves, but you decide to just sit for a moment to fully regain your senses.

What a nut house.
  17. "Well, looks like that guy was here after all. Wonder where he went..."

You check to see if there's any indication of where he might have gone

After using the chalk to mark you new location on your crude map, you notice an object in the distance.

"Hey...you see that? What's that?"

You walk in the direction of the object.

(I know she's a bit direct this time, but I'll get her into some antics and whatnot later.)
  18. Triangle Man

Triangle Man Cautiously Optimistic

> You are beginning to wonder how you became second fiddle on this particular team. And you've just noticed that you've inexplicably aquired some salad seasoning.

You are feeling increasingly uncomfortable with this whole arrangment.

Anyways...

"I'm not sure," you say, as you 1) also decide to head towards the object. However, you also 2) stop to take a look at the trampled grass for see if you can figure out who might have made it and where they could have gone.
  19. inexpediency

MARIA GRACE ROBINSON
    Move Jim: You swiftly move Jim away and
    Seat him on the chest: help him sit down, checking him for injuries. He is fine, aside from a forming bruise on his left cheek.
    You have received a clothespin.

JIM
    Just sit for a moment: You sit down and nearly instantly feel better. The bruise isn't going anywhere, of course, but you are able to collect yourself.

TED
    Swear revenge: Seeing the bruised face of your fearless leader, you swear swift and burning revenge on whomever could have done this. Who would do such a thing? Hurt a harmless Russian? Your doctor? Your--dare I say--friend?
    Stand up without harming Nastalya: You stand, and both you and Nastalya are unharmed.
    Renew pledge: As your thirst for vengeance flares up once more, you suddenly realize that you were the one who punched him. You were the monster the whole time. You don't even deserve to have a friend like poor Jim.

NASTALYA VANDERBRAUM
    Open chest: You try to open the chest but fail. "It is not meant for you, girl," the Voice informs you suddenly in your mind; Ted, your ally, can hear it as well.
    You have received 3 coins.

THE CARDINAL
    Trasmute: You place the laser pointer and the coin onto the platforms, yet they do not move down. The Voice swarms into your mind, a thousand speaking as one. "No coins," it warns. "That's cheating."
    You have received 3 coins.

NICKI DURANTE
    Check for signs: You look around, but you can't get any clue as to where the person has been.
    Mark location: You do this successfully. Your portion of the map is quite small thus far.
    Walk towards object: You go east through the grass and arrive at a large wooden chest. (It looks as if someone has been here before.) The golden plate on the chest bears the number 3.
    You have received 2 tbsp Hormel chili cheese dip kit.

GAMBLER TRACE BELLAMY
    Head toward object: You, too, arrive at the chest bearing the number 3.
    Check grass: You deduce by the large amounts of breadcrumbs strewn everywhere that the strange birdman has been through here. From the chest it looks like he's gone north.

SPECIAL EVENTS
    It begins to rain on the beach.

INVENTORIES
    JIM
    Camera (with 1 roll of film), superglue (4 uses), book of matches (19 uses), 85g Beech-Nut Homestyle Stage 3 Cinnamon Raisin Granola, 8 fl oz Swiss Premium orange lemon splash juice drink
    9 coins
    Current alliances: Ted, Maria

TED
    Pail, drinking straw 1 Burger King Rodeo Cheeseburger, 1 Chocolate House fudgie rabbit
    5 coins
    Current alliances: Jim, Nastalya

NICKI DURANTE
    Whip, washcloth, box of chalk, 5 cherries, 15 pieces Herr's buffalo blue cheese curls, 2 pieces Perdue baked chicken breast strip, 8 fl oz peach lemonade, 2 tbsp Hormel chili cheese dip kit
    0 coins

GAMBLER TRACE BELLAMY
    Craft book (some pages missing), craft book, 2 grams garlic and herb salad dressing mix
    9 coins

THE CARDINAL
    Laser pointer, barbecue recipe book
    7 coins

MARIA GRACE ROBINSON
    Wedding band, spoon, pocketknife, rock, scissors, football, clothespin, .5 cups Nature's Promise vanilla almond granola, 8 fl oz no sugar added pomegranate cherry juice
    6 coins
    Current alliances: Jim

NASTALYA VANDERBRAUM
    71g Gerber Nature Select first foods apples, 1 Archway soft oatmeal cookie, 5 Ruffles reduced fat potato chips, 1 Lean Cuisine Culinary Collection beef pot roast meal
    8 coins
    Current alliances: Ted
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2014
  20. gingerale

gingerale Dread Pirate

Maria decides that Jim seems perfectly fine so she pulls him up to his feet and pats his shoulder. The chest Jim was sitting on catches her attention now and she gives it a througout look. Maria decides to attempt opening the lid with her pocket knife and if this works she'll loot the insides before moving towards the dirth path heading north she saw earlier.