WELCOME TO DEATH ISLAND

Discussion in 'Another Basement' started by inexpediency, Jun 26, 2014.

1. inexpediency

inexpediency Ruler of this [CHAT]

A small plane, formerly headed to a REASONABLY POPULAR VACATION DESTINATION, has crash-landed on a mysterious, uncharted island. Neither the captain nor the crew survived, and all of the wreckage DISAPPEARED when the survivors weren't looking. As you explore the island, it becomes clear that some malevolent PRESENCE has brought you here, but for what reason? ESCAPE is possible, but difficult. Will you risk angering the Presence to leave the island, or try to get to the bottom of its mysterious game? The choice is yours...

WELCOME TO DEATH ISLAND

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE HUMANS WHO HAS ARRIVED ON DEATH ISLAND BY WAY OF FIERY PLANE CRASH, PLEASE INDICATE SO BELOW

RULES

TURN ORDER will be determined at the beginning of the game. Turns are taken ALL AT ONCE, but in order, obviously. During your turn, you may type out 1-3 TURN ACTIONS that you wish to take. (Basically, this is so you can't do a million different things in one turn. Things like searching, climbing, opening a locked chest, etc.--anything that has a chance for failure--count as "turn actions", but things like talking to another character don't. If you're writing a longer post, bold your turn actions so that they're easily recognizable.)

Some or all of the actions may SUCCEED or FAIL, depending on the King of all CosmosS OF CHANCE. You also have the chance to recieve a PRIZE after every turn. PRIZES include items and coins.

If you have 10 coins, you may choose to PURCHASE an item from a choice of THREE RANDOM ITEMS that I will give you. Purchasing an item counts as a TURN ACTION, but you will be able to select your item BEFORE YOUR NEXT TURN. You MUST purchase ONE of the items. You may also FIND items and coins on the island. As well, you may find TRANSMUTATION STATIONS. For a cost of 2 COINS (and a TURN ACTION) you can transmute together 2 of your items. The QUALITY of your new item will be determined by the King of all CosmosS OF CHANCE.

You may also use a turn action to TRADE one of
    your items for a new, random item. USING items may also count as a turn action. (Such as eating food, etc.)

At the end of every turn cycle, some SPECIAL EVENTS will occur that may affect some or all of the player. If you do not take your turn within 48 hours of the last player's turn, you will be SKIPPED.

Players can create TEAMS of no more than 3. Trying to create larger alliances will result in DISASTER. All players must use "create an alliance with ___" as a turn action, and then the turn order will be SHIFTED are together. BREAKING an alliance also counts as a turn action, but only has to be done by ONE player, who will then leave the alliance.

Other than that, be as creative, silly, or serious as you want!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2014
  2. Tesseract

Tesseract Regrets Choices Thus Far

I am The Cardinal. I am old, paranoid, superstitious, and surrounded by birds at all times (due to a bag of infinite breadcrumbs I got from a wizard)
  3. Triangle Man

Triangle Man Cautiously Optimistic

I am Gambler Trace Bellamy. I am Bold, Strong-Willed and am always up for a challenge, yet also posess a dangeriously strong Machivelian streak. I also speak with a Strong French Accent and my game of choice is Backgammon.

[STRIKE]Am I doing it right?[/STRIKE]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2014
  4. gingerale

gingerale Dread Pirate

The name is Maria Grace Robinson, Professor of Ancient History, and a teacher in University of Average Significance.

She had always dreamed of becoming an adventuring archeologist that went through romantic adventures like those in her many books she owns. But her work, life, family, got in the way and she never even had the chance of getting outside of her home town. Luckily for her the town has an university with a well respected history department and books to read about the wonders of the world from that would fuel her dreams to see them in person.

Years passed and her third and last child had finally left home to live and study outside of the town she found herself to have free time and no clue what to do with it. The very same day she received a notification through mail for having won a vacation trip for one person in Reasonably Popular Location. Having filled out many, many raffle applications and lottery tickets all her life but never actually having won anything more than enough to buy a new ticket, she was quite excited. Her summer holiday from the university was coming up and the trip would be timed perfectly for it so she got packing...
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  5. ectocal

ectocal Hapster

I am Ted. Ted likes ham.
  6. Almost Human

Almost Human Mightest of the Drunks Staff Member Bürgermeister

[​IMG]

This is Konstantin Lazarev, but he's not quite certain that's what they wrote on his name tag.
    He is a nurse from Omsk, Siberia and hadn't intended to travel this year but, when a certain ambassador entered the hospital with their significant other screaming about demonic possession and demanding a priest, everyone on duty that night was offered some time off and an all inclusive trip just for signing a few papers.
    He's still not convinced that the proper way to treat epilepsy is to throw water on someone and yell at them in Latin, but foreigners are a strange bunch, as he is finding out more and more on his trip.
    Or at least they seem strange to someone with only a few high school classes worth of english under their belt. He'd forgotten they used a strange alphabet and can really only get the gist of what people are trying to tell him, while his own responses result in nothing but vacant stares or raised eyebrows.

But this is all pretty minor. Konstantin is pretty good at getting by on his own, and besides, he has his camera with him and he loves taking pictures, so a little language barrier will not put a damper on his trip!
  7. inexpediency

AH continues to be rad

I think I'll give it one more day for people to join and then we'll start
  8. Tesseract

Tesseract Regrets Choices Thus Far

I hope he talks like this [​IMG]
  9. Almost Human

Bahaha, thanks. Hopefully his ineffectual means of communication won't screw up your entire adventure.

[​IMG]

Dangit, I should have just used THAT as his back story!
  10. gingerale

gingerale Dread Pirate

Our survivalist team is so useless, haha.
  11. Nicki Durante, midfielder for the Washington Spirit. Now that it was the offseason, she was flying out for her first vacation in a while. She is strong and determined, can be a bit aggressive and competitive. She gets easily irritated at people who can't keep up or she thinks aren't pulling their own weight.
  12. Triangle Man

I am loving just about all of the characters made for this adventure so far.

Don't worry, I've clocked like 12 Hours into 'Don't Starve' and 18 more into 'Starbound'. I've totally got this.
  13. inexpediency

RULES (these will also be edited into the OP)

TURN ORDER will be determined at the beginning of the game. Turns are taken ONE AT A TIME, and I will post between every turn. During your turn, you may type out 1-3 TURN ACTIONS that you wish to take. (Basically, this is so you can't do a million different things in one turn. Things like searching, climbing, opening a locked chest, etc.--anything that has a chance for failure--count as "turn actions", but things like talking to another character don't. If you're writing a longer post, bold your turn actions so that they're easily recognizable.)

Some or all of the actions may SUCCEED or FAIL, depending on the King of all CosmosS OF CHANCE. After each person's turn I will post, explaining which, if any, of their actions SUCCEEDED, and the CONSEQUENCES of those actions. You also have the chance to recieve a PRIZE after every turn. PRIZES include items and coins.

If you have 10 coins, you may choose to PURCHASE an item from a choice of THREE RANDOM ITEMS that I will give you. Purchasing an item counts as a TURN ACTION, but you will be able to select your item BEFORE YOUR NEXT TURN. You MUST purchase ONE of the items. You may also FIND items and coins on the island. As well, you may find TRANSMUTATION STATIONS. For a cost of 2 COINS (and a TURN ACTION) you can transmute together 2 of your items. The QUALITY of your new item will be determined by the King of all CosmosS OF CHANCE.

You may also use a turn action to TRADE one of
    your items for a new, random item. USING items may also count as a turn action. (Such as eating food, etc.)

At the end of every turn cycle, some SPECIAL EVENTS will occur that may affect some or all of the players. If you do not take your turn within 48 hours of the last player's turn, you will be SKIPPED.

Players can create TEAMS of no more than 3. Trying to create larger alliances will result in DISASTER. All players must use "create an alliance with ___" as a turn action, and then the turn order will be SHIFTED so that the players on the team take their actions together BEFORE I post in response (or, if they wish, I can continue to post between each person). BREAKING an alliance also counts as a turn action, but only has to be done by ONE player, who will then leave the alliance.

Other than that, be as creative, silly, or serious as you want!

I'm going to start soon, but I'll allow late entries for the next couple days unless anyone else wants to jump in.
  14. inexpediency

The crash was quieter than it should been, as if somehow muffled by the pristine white sands on which the plane had landed. It was a small plane, old and furnished with yellowing plastic; its contents consisted of one pilot, one flight attendant, an appropriately-sized load of luggage, and six passengers, who would emerge to find themselves miraculously unscathed. An old birdman, a French gambler, an aspiring archaeologist, a...ham enthusiast, a Russian nurse, and a strong-willed athlete. They would tumble out of the plane in due time, dazed and a bit confused, and would look back to find that the plane, the pilot, the flight attendant, and all of their luggage--including anything they had on their persons--had vanished into thin air, leaving behind just a few wisps of vitrified sand.

Yes, whispers a voice through the trees, carried on the wind and barely audible. Yes, they will do.

The six survivors, upon surveying their immediate surroundings, will find this: they are on the far west side of a long, sandy beach. To their north, the Deep Woods, seemingly swallowing all the light that enters it. To the south: water. Endless water.

The survivors, from the minute they set foot from the plane, will not be able to shake the uncanny feeling that they are being watched...

Turn order
    Jim
    Ted
    Nicki Durante
    Gambler Trace Bellamy
    The Cardinal
    Maria Grace Robinson

Note: The Cardinal may keep his bag of infinite breadcrumbs. He cannot, however, use it for any practical purpose. It does not count as an item.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2014
  15. inexpediency

SUDDEN RULE CHANGE everyone goes at once now (but still in order obviously)
  16. Triangle Man

(I may as well go now since I probably won't be on the internet all day tomorrow.

I'm also trying to provide a bit more backstory here, so please bare with me.)

>Trace Bellamy, Professional Gambler, stares back at where the wreckage of the plane should have been. While he survived the crash, he feels like getting stuck on this dead-end, potentially supernatural island is just another example of the bad luck that he has been going through lately, the sort of bad luck that sent some unsavory characters his way and forced him to take the first plane he could out of the country. Yet Bellamy is the sort of person to draw a lucky break from a bad situation, and perhaps, he thinks, he can do the same thing with this situation. But first, he needs to figure out his immediate situation.

1) Scope out the other survivors - perhaps some careful observation will reveal individuals with useful skills, or at least those who are 'easily persuaded' to follow. Good allies are important, so...what does a first glance tell me about these other people?

2) Investigate the place where the plane should be - something weird is going on and it is necessary to figure out what it might be.

3) Search for Fruit Trees along the beach - because the food on the plane was bad and he's hungry.

(Was this correct?)
  17. ectocal

ectocal Hapster

You still gots to wait for your turn, it's just that inex doesn't have to provide exposition between everybody's turns
  18. Almost Human

This is not possible, Konstantin thought to himself, How are we all completely uninjured?
    He knew, of course, that even in the world of medicine, unexplained miracles could happen but for six people to walk away from such a wreck unharmed?
    No, he shook his head, We must be drugged and hallucinating or...or something.

[​IMG]

I should probably try and ask the others-WAIT! Where is my camera?? If I don't find it I won't be able to show everyone back home what a lovely trip I'm having!
    Or...was having. Before it got significantly less lovely.
    Well actually it is still quite lovely, just a terribly foreboding kind of lovely. Like a really handsome serial killer.

Either way, Konstantin resolves to search for his camera in the immediate area.
    While also looking for anything that could be used for even the most basic of first aid.

Best to be prepared.

Oh yes, we're essentially boned.
  19. ectocal

ectocal Hapster

Okay, well I may as well introduce myself to everyone. And since talking to people doesn't count as a turn action, I can introduce myself to EVERYONE.

I approach Nicki, and in a voice much louder than necessary, I say, "I AM TED."

I do not wait for a response before approaching the Cardinal and doing the same.

I repeat this process with everyone on the island, including the pilot and flight attendant, if they're still around.

Now let's see. I could've sworn there was a plane around here somewhere. Hmm.

Ted looks around for the plane.

Of course, even if he finds it, it doesn't seem like they'll be going anywhere anytime soon. They need to have a better understanding of their immediate area. Seeing as most of the immediate area is water, it might pay to check that out.

Ted takes a closer look at the water, without going in...because, you know, sharks maybe?
  20. Almost Human