The Movies Thread Is Unhappy About Not Counting As Art

Discussion in 'Pop Culture' started by He said fully erect, Jul 13, 2011.

1. lovelyAssistant

lovelyAssistant Made of language

I saw Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter yesterday with my ladyfriend, and it was surprisingly not terrible. It was kinda predictable (though there were a few minor surprises), and apparently it was far more historically accurate than any movie where Abe Lincoln fights vampires has a right to be - knowing nothing about history I bow to my ladyfriend's nerdiness on this one.

Also Rock of Ages was a silly movie and enjoyable but I am glad I had free movie vouchers and didn't actually pay to see it.
    Can't Fight This Feeling between Alec Baldwin and Russell Brand was the highlight of the movie for me, because oh my god my crack ship from the beginning of the movie is canon what, and also Tom Cruise is very convincing as a crazy drugged-out rockstar? And can apparently sing better than I had thought?
  2. biggs hoson

biggs hoson ghosts need love too

My enjoyment of men in black 3 was increased retroactively when I found out Jemaine Clement played the main villain.
  3. biggs hoson

Last night I watched O Brother Where Art Thou, I really liked it but I wish I knew more about the Odyssey/could distinguish events in that from events in the Iliad enough to see the parallels.

I really liked George Clooney's unnatural obsession with his hair and when John Goodman fucked shit up.
  4. atomic

atomic ⓛ̸ⓘ҉̀͝ⓣ̸҉ⓔⓡ͜ⓐ̸ⓛ͞ⓛ͡͏ⓨ ͏͡͠ ̀

5. He said fully erect

He said fully erect /kill self

looper was good. not perfect but very good. much more than the inception-esque well-made-but-disposable action flick i'd been expecting

if it doesnt hold the same classic status as blade runner, terminator 2, and aliens a few years from now, it'll at least hold the same semi-classic status as minority report. it's high quality genre filmatism
  6. Triangle Man

Triangle Man Cautiously Optimistic

I just watched the 1930's version of 'All Quiet on the Western Front'.

...There is literally nothing I can say to describe what I'm feeling right now.

Just...just watch it, if you ever have the chance to...
  7. lovelyAssistant

Has anyone else seen Skyfall yet? I don't know if it's the sheer number of Bond movies that my family owns or what, but man did I love that movie.

I mean, a Bond movie with impressive cinematography? And something approaching subtlety and metaphor? And consequences for actions by main characters what??? People have to reload guns! There's a scene inside an entirely glass room that is beautifully shot with absolutely no dialogue! There are mistakes made and people die who aren't the people we expect to die in Bond films!
    There's a casual bi-the-way moment for Bond that might not have been a joke and I was far too pleased by it!

Also, on a completely unrelated note, everyone should attempt to find copies of the movie The Linguini Incident and watch it as soon as possible. It has David Bowie in it. And Rosanna Arquette. And it's wonderful.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2012
  8. He said fully erect

skyfall was mostly really good, yeah. brilliantly shot, hilarious, actually had something to say, and one-take fight scene roger deakins how did you know my one weakness

unfortunately also contained some really dumb logic that would have been acceptable in a less self-serious bond flick but sticks out here, and theres no fucking way Bond, Q, or Ralph Fiennes should still be employed after the consequences of the shit they pulled in the third act
  9. inexpediency

inexpediency Ruler of this [CHAT]

I saw Wreck-It Ralph the other day and I thought it was pretty enjoyable

I mean it was pretty much Who Framed Roger Rabbit for eight-year-olds

Paperman though was beautiful and pretty much the only reason I wanted to see it but we got to the theater late and only saw the second half of it :C
  10. lovelyAssistant

Agreed on all points, but also, it's a Bond movie. They kinda threw a lot of a realism out the window about the time the Aston Martin rolled out, though they tried to keep the tone for the most point.

I also just saw Wreck-It Ralph, and really enjoyed it! I never really thought of it as analogous to Who Framed Roger Rabbit? but that does make sense, and now that I think about it, I can see it. My friend who I went with's favorite part was unquestionably Jane Lynch, though I have to say the entire thing kinda tickled me. She didn't seem to like Paperman, dismissing it as 'cute', which she apparently does not do (she says, dragging me to all the kids' movies).

I really liked the movie; I thought it was sweet, and liked the whole idea of just kindof being who you are? Though idk, the whole SOCIETY WILL COLLAPSE IF YOU LEAVE YOUR GIVEN POSITION feeling of some of it was a bit disconcerting. Sugar Rush looks like a fucking adorable game though. I'd play it irl.
  11. Maydame

Maydame (ノಥಿ ೪ಥ)ノ*:・゚✧

i know most people would say die hard but home alone is my fave christmas movie
  12. biggs hoson

I got die hard among some other movies yesterday so I can already tell it's going to be a good christmas.
  13. He said fully erect

honestly theyre more or less the same movie
  14. NotAPumpkin

NotAPumpkin Game maker and tie breaker

My friends watched Die Hard without me...and I haven't even seen it before :(
  15. Captain Zaven

Captain Zaven ribbed for her pleasure

kill your friends

stab them with a knife
  16. Traikan

Traikan I have scales

[video=youtube;2vKz7WnU83E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vKz7WnU83E[/video]

Fuck yes fuck yes fuck yes
  17. Almost Human

Almost Human Mightest of the Drunks Staff Member Bürgermeister

Kay guys, I went to see Rise of the Guardians and it was so much fun!
    Unfortunately, I had the main ditty from this little gem running through my skull the whole time:

[video=youtube;FtkMlciohSg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtkMlciohSg[/video]

I still have this on VHS.
    I think I've watched it waaaay to much.
  18. NotAPumpkin

NotAPumpkin Game maker and tie breaker

Bahahaha

Funny though, I went to see that movie today too. I saw it a few weeks ago with a different friend, but I liked it so twice was alright :3
  19. Almost Human

Almost Human Mightest of the Drunks Staff Member Bürgermeister

I wish I could see it again. It was just so fun and easy to watch, which is kind of what I need right now considering how busy and crazy everything has been.
  20. lovelyAssistant

I saw the Hobbit last night and dear god is the Tolkien nerd in me pleased.

Super pleased.

I'm going to see it again. And buy it. And any extended editions. What are you talking about I passed my Tolkien stage ages ago.
    Hunkers down with extended editions of Lord of the Rings, all three hardback books, hardback Hobbit, illustrated and annotated Hobbit, The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, Children of Húrin, Tales Before Tolkien, Complete Guide to Middle-Earth, and Lord of the Rings Official Movie Companion.
    Also journal with Bilbo's handwriting and lovely illustrations throughout and the ratty old notebook where all of my Elvish notes are and the diary I wrote in Dwarvish runes.
    My... preciousssssss....
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2012