The Movies Thread Is Unhappy About Not Counting As Art

Discussion in 'Pop Culture' started by He said fully erect, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Triangle Man

Triangle Man Cautiously Optimistic

So, I just finished Dr. Strangelove and I really enjoyed the movie! It had the kind of absurdity that I enjoy in comedic films, but the delivery was dry and reserved, making for a refreshing change of pace. I was surprised to see that the title character got so little screen time, but I have to admire Peter Seller's talent in playing three characters in the same movie.

I also found Ripper's discussion with Mandrake about water and fluidation (I think) to be highly amusing, along with the rest of this movie.

Overall, I once again have to applaud Mr. Kubrick for making a movie that is incredibly awesome. I will be sure to watch this movie again and again in the future!
  2. biggs hoson

biggs hoson ghosts need love too

So today Sucker Punch and Scott Pilgrim vs. The World were on the movie channel.

I thought sucker punch was really simplistic and mediocre, the action didn't really grab me as anything special and the plot was incredibly predictable.

Scott Pilgrim happens to have a simple plot as well, but the fight scenes are very well done and the whole idea is it's a like a video game.

Also I noticed that both movies sort of fell into similar patterns, sucker punch the main character had to distract men by dancing to get items, but instead of dancing they have action scenes in this anachronistic dreamscape, and it tried really really hard towards the end to break out of this pattern and provide some sort of twist, but it didn't really work at all.

Scott Pilgrim doesn't try that at all, it knew it wasn't a complex movie and didn't hide from that, so it was simply enjoyable.

Sucker punch was simply meh, also the characters were really bland and didn't grow or change at all. I went into it knowing it wasn't that great and it met all of my exceedingly low expectations.
  3. inexpediency

inexpediency Ruler of this [CHAT]

Instead of watching the Superbowl last night, I went and saw The Artist! Besides us, there was exactly one other person in the theater.

SUCH A LOVELY FILM. I just adored everything about it.
  4. He said fully erect

He said fully erect /kill self

the artist was great. i kinda feel like it should be mandatory for all directors and screenwriters to make a silent film at some point in their careers

i watched it and Midnight in Paris last week (which was also great), and i thought it was interesting the way they seemed to be two very different movies based around a lot of the same ideas; fun artsy romantic dramedies that celebrate the past while still serving as a gentle warning against fetishizing it
  5. Triangle Man

I think my Sister wanted to go see it herself (she's sort of a fan of Old Movies). I trust that you can give a glowing recommendation of it?
  6. inexpediency

inexpediency Ruler of this [CHAT]

Yes, she should definitely go see it! It really does well in capturing the flavor of old films, but still kind of blending that with newer film styles and whatnot. Plotwise, it's not terribly original, but it still kept me engaged throughout the film, which is saying a lot, because I tend to zone out during a lot of good movies. Plus, there are some genuinely brilliant moments sprinkled in there. It's great.
  7. Triangle Man

Excellent!

In fact, I may give it a spin myself!
  8. He said fully erect

in significantly less artistic news, the new spider-man movie is shaping up to look way better than any of sam raimi's
    [video=youtube;-tnxzJ0SSOw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tnxzJ0SSOw[/video]
  9. biggs hoson

biggs hoson ghosts need love too

Recently I watched the 2005 remake of The Producers.

Will Ferrell is a neo-nazi and Nathan Lane seduces hundreds of old ladies simultaneously.

But Mathew Broderick is pretty annoying which isn't really a surprise.
  10. catGenes

catGenes Got a spooky feline

The Avengers was AWESOME.

It was funny and the characters were all so clearly defined and the fight scenes were really well split between characters and overall, awesome.

Well, I liked it, anyway.
  11. He said fully erect

Just saw the Avengers

It had all the awful things I hate about Whedon: the really forced self-congratulatory obnoxious dialog ("oh look something happened, now i'm going to describe it in an ironic understatement. pop culture reference. awkward banter. this is clever right?") and his go-to cheap shock drama tactic (not spoiling anything but if you've seen other whedon drivel you know where i'm going with that) were both present and accounted for. On the other hand, it also had a great cast, tight plotting (with one completely idiotic shoehorned-in action scene being the glaring exception) and some of the best action I've seen in a cgi-reliant movie.

So yeah it's worth seeing
  12. Triangle Man

Yep, saw that movie tonight, and aside from having a more positive/'I didn't mind it that much' view of Whedon's writing style (Hey, I liked Firefly too, right? Need to finish that show), I'd say He Said got my view of the movie down pat. Maybe this is also the Marvel fanboy in me talking, but as an action movie it really just worked on a number of levels, getting straight to the point and providing lots of action and explosions, which seem to be musts for the genre. And I guess I laughed at a quite a few parts/jokes of the film, such as any time Agent Coulson interacted with Captain America period (the guy came across as an awkward, slightly creepy fanboy and this is something I'd be tempted to play around with in another piece or something like that).

In conclusion, if you are a fan of Superheroes, Marvel, Joss Whedon, Action Flicks or all of the above, then go see this movie. You are going to be in for a great two and a half hours of awesome.

PS - I still hold the opinion that Robert Downy Jr.'s portrayal of Tony Stark/Iron Man is one of my favourite portrayals of the character. Then again I have a bit of a thing for 'entertaining assholes', so what can I say...
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2012
  13. Triangle Man

Edit - I think I know what part you were thinking of, HSFE, and thinking about it now it was kind of out of left field. Could've used a bit more foreshadowing in my book.

And could I ask for sone movies that you feel handle the dialogue well? I'd personally put forward Airplane! As an examPle of excellent dialogue in a comedy, by the way...
  14. He said fully erect

15. He said fully erect

okay seriouspost though that's sort of a "put-you-on-the-spot" question that just immediately causes my mind to draw a blank and i'm sure i'm forgetting something super obvious here, but

just about anything by the coen brothers, paddy chayefsky's Network, rian johnson's Brick, last year's Tinker Tailor (which i'm noting because it's an extremely exposition-driven movie and the quality of that dialog and the actors delivering it is what makes it work), just about anything by Michael Mann, early guy ritchie stuff

as far as dialog in comedies, tropic thunder's pretty great, the first iron man was good (though it's worth noting that the screenwriter had very little to do with that; a hefty share of the dialog was ad-libbed by the actors based on vague and incomplete scene outlines), [strike]anything[/strike] most things by wes anderson if you can tolerate quirky done right, ditto for woody allen.

it's important not to confuse good dialog with good screenwriting, and its not uncommon for writers to focus on the former (to varying degrees of success) while ignoring the latter entirely, which is how we get so many things with really overwritten "clever" dialog that are complete garbage, and so many movies with extremely sparse or nonexistent dialog that are friggin' masterworks. the most important skill for a screenwriter to have is the ability to speak in images rather than words, not the ability to write a fancy-sounding sentence
  16. Triangle Man

1) Sorry for springing that question on you, then.

2) I agree with your point. I guess some people are forgetting that movies are a primarily visual medium and, as you said, being able to show what's going in with images is an important skill for a screenwriter. For another example, I'd think of something like Triplets of Belleville; that animated flick was amazing in it's ability to tell it's story using little to no dialogue whatsoever. It didn't really need it to be an amazing movie, in my view; it just needed to use it's outstanding animation in the most effective way possible, and in my view it did.

Also, I did not know that tidbit about the writing in the first Iron Man. Maybe that's part of the reason why it was such a great flick (in my view). I am also taking all of your examples as recommendations, if you don't mind...
  17. He said fully erect

oh, nah dude, all i meant was that the list i was giving was sort of the first few movies that came to mind and that there were probably some i was forgetting
  18. Triangle Man

Oh, uh...

Okay, then, fair enough then.

That is all.

...Also, I'm assuming that you've seen Kubrick's work, correct?
  19. He said fully erect

honestly? i've been putting off seeing most of kubrick's movies for years. i've seen a few, but (and this is not a mindset i even remotely condone wrt cinema, but there you go) it's pretty rare that i feel like watching a really long movie so most of them have sat in the big ol' shameful "stuff to get around to someday maybe" pile
  20. Nopad

Nopad Guest

watched the avengers finally
    boom boom kapow