The Movies Thread Is Unhappy About Not Counting As Art

Discussion in 'Pop Culture' started by He said fully erect, Jul 13, 2011.

1. He said fully erect

He said fully erect /kill self

2. Old Greg

Old Greg Guest

I randomly just saw One Hour Photo recently, a sort of oddball psychological thriller. Ohmygod it's good. Robin Williams rocks all of my socks in it, and it had perhaps the best cinematography I've ever seen.
  3. inexpediency

inexpediency Ruler of this [CHAT]

I saw Astro Boy for a dollar at the theater today. Nicolas Cage plays a grieving asshole dad, and oh yeah there's some kid there too.

Seriously though, it was a pretty...harmless movie. Not terrible, not great. And I don't actually know anything about the original Astro Boy, but I was pretty shocked when (SPOILER ALERT~) Toby died. Like, "okay, haha, you got me, but this is a movie for babies; he's not actually dead. He's hiding inside that robot or something. There's no way they really killed that little kid. Oh...oh, wait, he actually died? Dang, movie."
  4. Varkarrus

Varkarrus I have class

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat you should have actually put that in a spooooooooiler!!!!!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaah you manatee I can never forgive you D: D: D:

now I have no reason to watch astro boy :*(
  5. qiam

qiam Guest

did you miss the part about nic cage
  6. Traikan

Traikan I have scales

I saw Transformers 3.

Do not see Transformers 3.
  7. Varkarrus

Varkarrus I have class

oh yes nicholas cage that IS true.

but the biggest spoiler has been spoiled and inexpediency you should feel terrible :p
  8. inexpediency

inexpediency Ruler of this [CHAT]

Really? I heard it was quite a bit better than the previous two.

Vark here is a secret about me: I'm a pathological liar.

Does Toby actually die??? WATCH TO FIND OUT

anyway that's not even like the BIG TWIST or anything so there's still a lot of spoilers I didn't spoil
  9. He said fully erect

Alaska is quite a bit warmer than Pluto.
  10. Varkarrus

Varkarrus I have class

okay then inexpediency but what if you are lying about your lying to make ME feel better????????????

(was that enough questionmarks?)
  11. Traikan

Traikan I have scales

Transformers 2 was bad enough I could laugh at it. Transformers 3 is just unenjoyable. It's predictable, abrasive, and two and a half hours long. I think it damaged my soul slightly.

Fortunately Small Soldiers was on TV yesterday so I watched part of that to recover. I don't think that movie was ever good, but I sure enjoyed it as a kid and it was fun to see it again.
  12. Bandages

Bandages Dr. Stringz

I saw Horrible Bosses this past tuesday night, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Basically - if you like Arrested Development and/or It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, you will like this movie.Also Colin Farrel's character is fucking priceless :heh:
  13. Captain Zaven

Captain Zaven ribbed for her pleasure

Re. Astro Boy
    Toby dying is not a spoiler at all, it is basically the very first thing that happens in the canon. It's the entire reason why there is astro boy in the first place. It's like saying that R2-D2 and C-3PO escape on a pod from the ship that the rebels are in. I am sure that there are many other spoilers in the film. That being said, i don't think it really looks like a film i would go out of my way to watch anyways, even with nic cage. he's got a lot of other batshit that i think would be more fun.

Tonight i am going to see Harry Potter Seven. Not Harry Potter seven part two, no, i am seeing the whole thing. Six hours watching movies in a dark room? i have been training myself for this for weeks.

Re. Movies that we've watched recently
    The other night we synched the film Audition. A lot of people had problems with its grisly scenes of torture. Personally, i didn't have too much of a problem with them. On the whole, the film felt to me more like a thriller than an actual horror movie. Whereas i feel like horror films have building dread, this one i felt more like had just building suspense. do you see the distinction there that i'm making? It was kinda slow, but a strong climax saved it i think.
    After that we watched UHF, starring Weird Al. To put it simply, that movie was fucking hilarious and i loved every moment of it :3
  14. ShyGuy

ShyGuy Guest

I might see harry potter tonite... dunno. didn't see 7.1 or 6, I think...

so far the only movie I wanna see coming out in the near future is Winnie the Pooh.

also whatever you say against movies being arts, I love that video games aren't art. Ebert will approve.
  15. He said fully erect

Saw The Prestige. Great movie, pretty solid 8/10. Didn't go too overboard with the exposition, which is nice for a Nolan movie and a book adaptation. Totes recommend it.
  16. Varkarrus

Varkarrus I have class

I may be receiving a dvd copy of a movie that was never released and it is so bad it's good and it's called night of the dribbler.
  17. MadameSB

MadameSB Hot blooded

I need this
    I need this right now
    to watch tomorrow
    It sounds horrible
    <3
  18. Varkarrus

Varkarrus I have class

It is.

It's a slasher movie about a basketball team that gets slowly killed.

Don't watch the trailer, it spoils EVERYTHING.
  19. MadameSB

MadameSB Hot blooded

Oh.
    Uh-oh.
    I have the weakest of stomachs.

Is there guts and blood?
    or just blood?
  20. Varkarrus

Varkarrus I have class

I didn't see much of either, but one part made ME clench up.