READING IS THE SHIT

Discussion in 'The Arts' started by atomic, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Triangle Man

Triangle Man Cautiously Optimistic

I've started reading Catch-22 as a result of a friend of mine raving about the book and browbeating me into reading it.

I have to say that the characters are great, the writing is really goddamn clever and is one of the few books that has made me totally laugh out loud.

So basically, I made a good descion in choosing this book.
  2. canoe

canoe never odd or even

Nice! Catch-22 is actually one of my favourite books! I don't know if you've finished it, but I was really invested in the characters, Yossarian and Nately especially, and so the latter part of the book hit me super hard.
  3. Triangle Man

Triangle Man Cautiously Optimistic

Well that's cool, Canoe! Yeah, I'm not very far into it just yet, but I've found the characters to be really likeable as well. That, and the commentary about military bueracracy (and other aspects of society) has been a treat as well.

The ending still looms omniously, however.
  4. lovelyAssistant

lovelyAssistant Made of language

I'm reading the Kino no Tabi (キノの旅) books right now as a form of Japanese practice, and they're actually... Really good. It's hard to explain them, but basically there's a traveller named Kino who rides a talking motorbike names Hermes, and they go from 'country' to 'country' and observe. They never stay for longer than three days, but that's usually enough time to figure out some pretty crazy stuff - and it's almost never pleasant. Usually it's incredibly unpleasant. Kino stands as a semi-impartial observer in all these things, not really interfering, just observing... It's really interesting, and gets pretty heavy sometimes.

There's fan-translations available for some of the books, from what I've seen, though generally not the first one. There's an official translation of the first book that's out of print, but considering the localization team changed a lot of things (from the little bit that I read, changing around the order of some of the stories, naming characters meant to remain unnamed, etc) I wouldn't recommend checking it out unless you reeeeally want to. I'm actually considering trying to translate some of it come winter break, would anyone be interested in proofreading if I do?