READING IS THE SHIT

Discussion in 'The Arts' started by atomic, Dec 30, 2011.

1. He said fully erect

He said fully erect /kill self

Oh man, Cat's Cradle is great
  2. Triangle Man

Triangle Man Cautiously Optimistic

Bigman, you are going to love Fear and Loathing. That is probably one of my favourite novels of all time.

I haven't read Cat's Cradle, though...

And I did not know that about Kafka. If there is an afterlife, would he have beaten up Max Brod upon the latter's entry into it?
  3. biggs hoson

biggs hoson ghosts need love too

Well like I said before Kafka probably didn't want him to burn his work, who knew why he asked him to in the first place.
  4. Triangle Man

Triangle Man Cautiously Optimistic

Maybe he was just fed up in that particular instance?

I don't know. Authors and Artists tend to be eccentric people to begin with, you know?
  5. biggs hoson

Well the man was dying of tuberculosis so yeah fed up sounds pretty appropriate.
  6. atomic

atomic ⓛ̸ⓘ҉̀͝ⓣ̸҉ⓔⓡ͜ⓐ̸ⓛ͞ⓛ͡͏ⓨ ͏͡͠ ̀

WHERE'S THE CAT????

WHERE'S THE CRADLE????

there's nothing there but a tangled mess of string and an ugly old man
  7. inexpediency

inexpediency Ruler of this [CHAT]

Poisonwood Bible was really good in case anyone was wondering

I just got my reading list for the year: Beowulf, Canterbury Tales, Dr. Faustus, Twelfth Night, Pride and Prejudice, The Awakening, Ceremony, Revolutionary Road, Oedipus Rex, A Streetcar Named Desire, and something called "Major British Writers I, Chaucer, Spenser, Shakespeare, Bacon, Donne, Milton, Dryden, Swift, Pope, Johnson, Boswell (Volume I)"

plus like poems and short stories and stuff

gon be lotsa readin this year
  8. lovelyAssistant

lovelyAssistant Made of language

I'm re-reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss right now, and also a hell of a lot of Japanese stuff for my Japanese class.

Rothfuss is pretty boss. Also, John Dies at the End and its sequel, This Book is Full of Spiders. I feel like pretty much everyone in this forum would enjoy those last two.
  9. NotAPumpkin

NotAPumpkin Game maker and tie breaker

Ahh, I love John Dies at the End. One of my goals this week is actually getting my hands on the sequel :p

I think you're probably right, it does seem like a thing that a lot of Hidden Levelers would enjoy...
  10. lovelyAssistant

I really enjoyed the sequel, though there were some parts that gave me an odd sense of déjà vu, like they'd already happened in the first book. It might just be a function of the style of writing, though. I laughed far too much for a book about an apocalyptic scenario. Again.
  11. inexpediency

Things I've read in the last few months:
    Beowulf, (some of the) Canterbury Tales, Dr. Faustus, Flowers for Algernon (for the millionth time), Anansi Boys, I'm sure there's more but I don't remember

I enjoyed them all thumbs up
  12. lovelyAssistant

Anansi Boys yes good. Have you read American Gods as well, Inex?
  13. biggs hoson

These Heights

they are a Wutherin
  14. lovelyAssistant

[video=youtube_share;WChywYrwHBY]http://youtu.be/WChywYrwHBY[/video]
  15. Yeah I loved The Name of the Wind. Good book. So was the sequel. Can't wait for the last one. Well...it's not like I would have time to read it anyway until break :p

Had to read Wuthering Heights for class one year. I was actually going to mention that music video, but I see LA beat me to the punch. Our teacher played it in class and we all sorta didn't know what to think.

John Dies at the End, huh? I've heard the name before. Maybe I'll give it a shot.
  16. lovelyAssistant

I think that song is incredibly weird, so I totally understand how you and your class wouldn't know what to think, heh.

And seriously, check out John Dies at the End. It's funny as all get out.
  17. inexpediency

Yup! I enjoyed that one too.
  18. lovelyAssistant

Hooray! Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite authors. I always get the warm fuzzies when someone else likes him too.

Also read the entirety of the Sandman comics if you haven't already.
  19. inexpediency

I haven't, but I intend to someday. It's somewhere on my massive to-read list, among the books piled by my bed that I haven't quite gotten to yet (Watchmen, V for Vendetta, reread of All Quiet on the Western Front, two or three books of poetry...)
  20. galactic

galactic stupid teenager

Just started reading the sequel to my favorite book (one of them, anyway) called Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

The sequel is called Homeland and so far it's pretty damn good, but it was expected of Doctorow anyway.