READING IS THE SHIT

Discussion in 'The Arts' started by atomic, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Xenothral

Xenothral Your Friendly Neighbourhood Space Captain

I have a book that I've been meaning to read, but I guess it'll have to wait until I'm actually back home where it is. That book is The Myst Reader. I read the first chapter or so when I got it and never got around to reading more of it for some reason.

I also am reading THIS and THIS and THIS.

Books based off of games I like are the best books.
  2. lovelyAssistant

lovelyAssistant Made of language

Oh my god being on break and being allowed to read WHATEVER I WANT WHENEVER I WANT is the bomb.

I'm reading a lot of RPG rulebooks right now, though. Orpheus and some Planescape stuff are the main chunks of it. I also just finished Christopher Moore's new book, Sacre Bleu, which I really enjoyed! It's a bit of a deviation from his normal style in some ways, but it's hilarious and was obviously really well researched.

Also I'm trying to learn Welsh and keep my Japanese in practice wheeee~
  3. Alright, I just got some new books a few hours ago (Thank the lord for double free periods)
    I picked up 'Mice' by Gordon Reece,
    'Finnikin Of The Rock' by Melina Marchetta
    Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards and
    Zombie. Which is pretty much just a collection of short stories all about zombies. It's pretty freaking interesting.
  4. inexpediency

inexpediency Ruler of this [CHAT]

Went to a used bookstore today and got a copy of All Quiet On the Western Front, a cummings collection, and an Impulse thing I've never read before (eeeeeeee)

I am going to go read them all now woo
  5. Triangle Man

Triangle Man Cautiously Optimistic

That one is a great novel. You are going to enjoy it!

Can't say much for the other two, though.

I did pick up some Terry Prachett novels, an Agetha Christie novel and a copy of The Three Musketeers a while ago, though. That's been some good reading.
  6. inexpediency

I've read it before, but I didn't have my own copy, and I like having my own copy of books I really like.

I was also gonna snatch a copy of Catcher in the Rye, which I read a few days ago, but I didn't have enough store credit :drinkie:
  7. lovelyAssistant

I picked up the first book in Stephen King's Dark Tower series (The Gunslinger) a couple weeks back on a whim, despite never having read any Stephen King ever before... and read it in one sitting. I'm on the fourth book right now (Wizard and Glass) and... my God are these actually good reads. How did I not know that Stephen King was a good writer with a strong literary background before?

The Gunslinger is my favorite so far, despite being the 'odd one out', sortof... it's a very dreamlike sort of style, which fits the setting and the fact that you really know nothing about what's going on and really just have to run with it. All of the literary allusions, minor pop culture references, the odd sort of flow to Roland's journey and the sense of urgency without really understanding why there's a sense of urgency really spoke to me, I don't know. The following books have been good too, in that they bring out a more compelling plot and introduce some really interesting characters and my god can you tell that the writer loves the setting and the world he's writing in, but The Gunslinger is still my favorite so far.
  8. catGenes

catGenes Got a spooky feline

Finally up to date on Harry Dresden =3 Also re-reading the Daughter of the Empire by Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts, because the main character is pretty awesome. Also also there is a new standalone Garth Nix book, which is Imperium of Man-type sci-fi. It's okay, but it's not the Abhorsen books.
  9. lovelyAssistant

Yess, Harry Dresden! I can't wait for the next one. I also long for the days when there were 10 books in the series I hadn't read yet, and I could just go and pick them up in paperback from the store. S i g h . . .

And ooh, new standalone Garth Nix? I've liked most of his stuff that I've read, from Shade's Children to Abhorsen to Keys to the Kingdom... wait, I work in a bookstore; how do I not know this?
  10. catGenes

catGenes Got a spooky feline

it's not quite a cliff hanger ending on Ghost Story but it's making me want the next one like now and there isn't a next one yet >.<

The Garth Nix book's called Confusion of Princes, it might not be new-new, just I haven't seen it before =3
  11. inexpediency

I'm reading The Poisonwood Bible (because I have to for school) and I really like it so far

I'll probably say a little more about it after I'm finished because it's a bit thick
  12. pekoe

pekoe Guest

i always have a huge list of books to read

right now im working on delusions of gender by cordelia fine
    also i might start reading invisible monsters by chuck palahniuk cause my friend rly wants me to
  13. Draga

Draga Cat Scratch Fever

I've been slacking when it comes to reading lately. I still need to finish reading the Dresden Files books that I have, plus I'm only half way through Game Of Thrones. I also bought Mick Foley's 4th auto-biography which is a pretty interesting read =3
  14. Triangle Man

I've been reading some more Discworld novels lately.

I also retrieved a ton of books from a book sale recently, so I've got enough reading to last me the entire year...
  15. Captain Zaven

Captain Zaven ribbed for her pleasure

I've been reading harlequin romance novels on my lunch breaks. I finished "A Risk Worth Taking" last week, and I started up with "Her Best Friend's Wedding." so far this one is more straightforward and is also looking steamier.
  16. pekoe

pekoe Guest

my sister was going to start writing trashy romance novels for easy cash and she never did
    i should ask her about that

(not that i would want to read a trashy romance novel written by my sister i think that would leave mental scars)
  17. Triangle Man

Because it would tell you a bit more about her then you'd ever want to know?

Seems like she has a solid financial plan, though.

And by that I mean not exactly solid at all, although you never know...
  18. pekoe

pekoe Guest

yeah prettymuch that

hmm now i'm curious about how much shitty romance novelists get paid
  19. Triangle Man

My guess is the same as other novelists; a certain amount of money for every copy sold.

Of course, I could be wrong on that.
  20. biggs hoson

biggs hoson ghosts need love too

Today I acquired books!

And a bookcase with which to store them! Riveting!

New reading material includes Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Cat's Cradle, and Amerika.

Fun fact about Franz Kafka, on his deathbed he asked his best friend, Max Brod, to burn all his work, of course Max didn't carry through with this and instead edited and published his novels and short stories.

Some say that Kafka choose to ask Brod for this because he knew Max would never do it.