Nova - Star Throwing Shenanigans!

Discussion in 'Pop Culture' started by Terrorbuns, Dec 7, 2012.

1. HELLO FOLKS I DO NOT HAVE MUCH TIME BUT HERE IS A LINK FOR MY GAME'S CURRENT DEMO. IT IS A WIP and IS THE ENTIRE FIRST LEVEL. (which is WIP)

COPY AND PASTE FROM TUMBLR INCOMING:

It is still a WIP obviously, and lacking sounds and stuff, but here it is!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bua4d1rr1g5jygh/NovaFirstLevelDemo.zip

ARROW KEYS TO MOVE [and aim] all other controls are explained in-game. I think you guys are smart enough to figure it out <:

THIS GAME WILL NOT RUN ON ANYTHING THAT ISN'T A WINDOWS OS unless you're doing one of those emulator thingys or what have thee. BUT YEAH. WINDOWS ONLY.

Let me know what you think!
  2. Varkarrus

Varkarrus I have class

I would probably make the button to pick up a star and throw a star different, and also have it so that when a star drops from an enemy, it automatically starts following you, but that's just me. The engine is very solid other than that, though! (Matter of personal preference too, but it might be a bit easier to control if the player jumps and falls a tad slower)
  3. Traikan

Traikan I have scales

I love the sprites. All of them.

I agree with Vark's comments on stars.

Would it be possible to add some kind of jump buffering? When I was trying to jump several times in sequence I found myself hitting the jump key just slightly too early and not triggering another jump, often leading to me walking off a ledge and wondering what happened.
  4. Varkarrus

Varkarrus I have class

Jump buffering seems to be quite an intriguing concept to me... Perhaps no more than 10 frames before hitting the ground though? I do attack buffering from time to time myself, and it is a pretty neat idea.
  5. Fun fact: You can hold down the throw button to auto-grab stars, but it's not told in the game and it will likely never be directly said in game. I implemented it to make grabbing stars a lot easier :drinkie:

I'm not going to add any more buttons aside from a pause button. Sorry but that's just what I am designing around.

Odd thing about the jumping thing though. I've never had that problem, and I'm often racing through the levels which involves jumping a lot so I don't really know what the problem is?? Sorry 8I

I actually thought the player was moving a bit slow, but if it's too fast for people I can slooooooooooooooooooooow it down a bit, that isn't a big deal.

Someone also made a comment on the enemies being too small, which is something I agree with, since they were made for another project I need to get about to redesigning them and whatnot.
  6. Nopad

Nopad Guest

Ohmigosh the walking animation is the cutest thing i've seen in a big while

Is there ever like a downside to trying to grab a star?
  7. Varkarrus

Varkarrus I have class

I don't think there is, one of the reasons why I said it should be automatic.
  8. https://www.dropbox.com/s/b11jcq1vhc2k0o4/NovaV01.zip

New demo.

Includes:

-Level Select!
    -Stars are now automatically grabbed by touching them.
    -Enemies no longer have placeholder graphics (still subject to change though.)
    -Preview of Level 2.
    -Slightly changed physics (Jump height is lower I believe but falling is slower)

I think that covers the major changes? So yeah.

Tell me what you think!
  9. Traikan

Traikan I have scales

I like it! The way the stars get a bit darker next to Nova looks really nice.

The improved physics help a lot, and level 2 is looking spiffy!

I am a fan of the new enemies.

I will very rarely get blocked by the wall or something and stop halfway up while jumping here:
    [​IMG]

Also, for the wishlist, some kind of pixel doubling window size increase?
  10. Yeah the sudden stop in jumping happened when you were next to a wall, jumped and then moved the other direction. It was a weird collision thing and I fixed it by making the collision mask for the player a single pixel wide :I

I've since redone the star graphics to have an outline and a smaller version that'll follow you so they don't seem so big/take up so much space.

I do plan on having an option to increase screensize! It's not a priority but never fear, it will happen! c:

Enemies have also been graphically re-done again.

I might have another demo or two later on but the next big demo will be just Level 4 and that'll likely be the last public demo before the full thing is released. (Level 4 is a fortress stage with a boss! How exciting~)
  11. Triangle Man

Triangle Man Cautiously Optimistic

Hey, I finally got around to playing this game today. It's quite a bit of fun.

Only problem for me is that parts of the game (mostly the waterfall sections in the first stage) tend to experience a lot of lag and the action on the screen slows down quite a bit. This could simply be a problem with my computer, however...

In any case, I look forward to playing the full game!