Let's Play D&D (5e)!

Discussion in 'Pop Culture' started by NotAPumpkin, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Tesseract

Tesseract Regrets Choices Thus Far

Chapter 1

"I FUCKING LOVE TREES", exclaimed Bill Nye the archer guy, rubbing leaves all over his face.
  2. NotAPumpkin

NotAPumpkin Game maker and tie breaker

Yay, I'm glad you're having fun! Yeah for sure you can share the logs, I'll try to wrangle some sense out of them haha.

Or jeez why don't I let Tess do it looks like he's got it under control
  3. Triangle Man

Triangle Man Cautiously Optimistic

Probably yes. But otherwise thank you. :)
  4. Almost Human

Almost Human Mightest of the Drunks Staff Member Bürgermeister

Ah I'm so glad, if sounds like you guys had a lot of fun! I'll probably sit in on one of your sessions and eavesdrop, hopefully soon! Also that sounds like a twisty ass plot. I live it!
  5. NotAPumpkin

All right, after some input from a fellow DM friend, I put together some rules for sustaining lasting wounds. Mostly it's because I've always thought that getting healed instantly from whatever life-threatening scenario you just went through is bullshit.

Your suffering sustains me.

Anyway let's give this a shot and see how it goes. Not sure how it'll work out, but why not try?

So basically, in this system if you take a critical hit or your HP drop below zero, you get a big boo boo that you can't magic away instantaneously. The amount of damage you take determines the seriousness of the injury, in three categories: Light, Moderate, and Severe. The amount of time it takes to heal the injury also depends on the severity of the wound. The effects you suffer depend on what kind of wound you got (foot, hand, eye, internal, etc.)

Healing: You can either make medicine skill checks successfully for X amount of consecutive days, or use magic to heal the wound over a long rest. If you spend a long rest healing someone, you gain one level of exhaustion, as described here:

Level Effect

1 Disadvantage on ability checks
    2 Speed halved
    3 Disadvantage on attack rolls and saving throws
    4 Hit point maximum halved
    5 Speed reduced to 0
    6 Death

The effects are cumulative, naturally.

Light wounds: You sustain a light wound if you are hit with a critical attack that does not take your HP below zero, or if your HP drops to a negative that doesn't exceed half your total HP. (ex: if your max hp is 20 and you take enough damage to put you at -9, you receive a light wound.) May take the form of a sprain, gash, concussion, dislocation, severe bruising etc. It takes 1 long rest of healing magic to heal a light wound, or 3 days of consecutive successful medicine checks.

Moderate wound: You sustain a moderate wound if you are hit with a crit attack that takes your HP below zero, or if your HP drops to a negative that exceeds half your total HP (ex: if your max hp is 20 and you take enough damage to put you at -10, you receive a moderate wound.) May take the form of a broken bone, deep wound, blood poisoning, etc. It takes 3 long rests to heal magically, or a week of consecutive successful medicine checks.

Severe wound: You sustain a severe wound if you take a crit that puts you in the red for more than half your total HP (ex: if your max hp is 20 and you take enough damage to put you at -10, you receive a severe wound), or your HP drops to a negative that exceeds your total HP. May take the form of massive internal bleeding, a lost limb/eye, brain damage, etc. This type of wound is more difficult to heal, and may require strong magic to fully recover from.

The table for types of wounds you can sustain are:

Leg
    Foot
    Arm
    Hand
    Eye
    Head
    Ribs
    Back
    Shoulder
    Side
    Internal

You suffer logical consequences for whatever kind of wound it is (wounded eye, disadvantage on sight checks). I'm using the DM handbook as a guide for that, but whatever makes sense goes. Is everyone ok to try it?
  6. Almost Human

Also you guys should write up little blurbs about your characters so I can read them.
    I am interested!
  7. Tesseract

My character is Dr. Lerissa Blackgrove, a tiefling and self-described magician who is also a respectable professor of magical history. Her interests include knowledge
  8. NotAPumpkin

"respectable"
  9. Almost Human

Bahaha that is an extensive list of interests :p
    Can she actually use magic or is the fact that she's self-described mean she just understands magic in theory?
  10. ectocal

ectocal Hapster

Richard Sinclair was gonna be the "I'm justicing so hard it's obnoxious" guy, but he has evolved into being slightly less obnoxious. Still lawful good though.

One time he adopted an entire orphanage.
  11. Triangle Man

Akra Morningstar, Priestess and Cleric of Tyrna, has joined the expedition as a representative of the Church of Tyrna. Join her as she learns about the world outside the Plateau and smites the forces of Evil with her Warhammer and/or Dragonbreath.

Did I mention she was part Dragon?
  12. Almost Human

Bahaha I love it! You guys have an odd mix of lawful heroes.

So Ecto, do you just have an army of children following you around?

Also I like the idea of a priestess that's just breathing fire on all the heathens.
  13. Tesseract

We're probably doing sessions for the next 3 days (naps gotta get through two subsessions in two days and then a full session) so you can just show up for those if you like
  14. ectocal

ectocal Hapster

In retrospect, this is what I should have done. I could toss them at monsters for long range attacks.

>throw baby
  15. Triangle Man

Weaponizing small children is activity that I highly encourage.

My breath weapon is actually lightning but it's the same principle anyways so whatever.
  16. Almost Human

I'd love to sit in on some sessions, unfortunately my Wednesday nights for the last little while have been pretty full. I'm hoping if I don't have to work late tomorrow I'll be able to pop in.
  17. NotAPumpkin

Last night on Chasm Adventures:

The party went to visit their employer and discovered that a hat (specifically a fedora) in their possession was indeed sentient, extremely sassy, and claimed to have some seriously world-shattering knowledge that caused at least one party memeber to seriously question their beliefs.
    In the middle of trying to sort out the ensuing chaos, their employer demanded a royal audience from a hapless messenger.

Later, they all went to hang out at the tavern they were staying at and one of them started casting random spells from a sketchy spellbook, causing the resident religious straight-edge to instantly become hammered. Another spell was cast that made the spellbook ALSO come to life, so now there are two talking objects in the party.

Then ANOTHER random spell caused the formerly sleeping tavern employee's arm to become sentient and hostile towards everyone, which pissed off the barkeeper and caused him to reveal that the person holding the book was in fact using a fake name and pretending to be somebody else.

This revealed, she began to antagonize the drunk religious one, go way too far up in her grill, and caused the drunk dragon lady to get extremely pissed off, stomp upstairs, and probably wreck some furniture.

Then the paladin made an inspiring speech, and everyone went to bed.

what a day
  18. Almost Human

Whoa, you guys pissed off the barkeep? I'm going to have to read these logs, that's an impressive feat. Possibly not as impressive as having a Beauty and The Beast sequel's worth of talking objects, but still.
  19. Triangle Man

My favorite part of this whole incident is that it is basically a repeat of a previous incident during the 'Cursed Island' campaign, only with a drastically more downbeat outcome.
  20. NotAPumpkin

Haha yeah we were all better friends at that point...
    SOMEDAY YOU'LL HAVE A HAPPY PARTY. MAYBE PROBABLY.

I like how our chars bonded in Cursed Land by virtue of A) being lumped in together by everyone else and B) being actively antagonized by powerful figures on both sides

Anyway I now have a laptop I can bring to class so I'll be doing that and maybe finally be able to do logs. We shall see.