Holy shit a new [CHAT] ???

Discussion in 'Sodom' started by Almost Human, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Almost Human

Almost Human Mightest of the Drunks Staff Member Bürgermeister

Sorry for my prolonged absence.
    I was actually thinking about shutting this place down since it said nothing new had been posted since 2018 but it turns out that my automated emails just broke.
    So fuck it! We're here!

And guess what?
    I'm a friggin art director now.

I know, what the hell?

What's new with all of you?
  2. Triangle Man

Triangle Man Cautiously Optimistic

First of all, glad to hear from you again, and I was wondering where you'd gone off to!

Second of all, that kind of job promotion is awesome and I'm glad you got it!

Thirdly, I'm doing pretty good right now. Work's still going pretty great, and I actually had one of my short stories published in a paying publication about a month ago, so that's pretty sweet. :)
  3. Almost Human

Holy shit that's super sweet!! Is it an online publication where I might be able to read it? Congrats that's so super cool!!
  4. Triangle Man

Thank you very much. :) I'll PM a link to you if you want to take a look over it. :)
  5. Almost Human

I'd love to! I have nothing too interesting to show for my time of silence. Lots of ideas but nothing has come to fruition
  6. Triangle Man

Sent you the link, hope you like.

I'm currently gunning for a short story contest for the same website.

We'll see how that goes.
  7. Almost Human

Awesome! I'll check it out this weekend :)
    I'm currently at work enjoying this beautiful huge wacom and also I ate way too many chocolate covered pretzels
  8. Triangle Man

Thanks no problem, hope you liked it. :)

I wasn't sure what a 'Wacom' was until I googled it, but that seems pretty neat. Also, how many Choco-Pretzels is too many?

Also, I'm just relaxing before my next shift.

Also, why the hell is Homestuck on the Viz.com manga website?!
  9. Almost Human

Is it?? Man I'm gonna fully admit I haven't touched any homestuck stuff in ages.
    My general assumption is that I've been out of it for too long and it's probably gotten so inaccesible that I'm better not even trying.
    I have however fallen into My hero Academia like a total nerd. I got into it on a friend's recommendation and was accidentally hooked.

I liked your story too! Definitely got some global warming vibes from it, or perhaps a less specific "fucking up the enviroment, means justify the ends" sorta deal.
    I feel like the overall story would be a great way to explain a complex issue to a younger crowd too. Not that I think the writing feels like it's aimed at a younger audience, but that I think it paints a clear picture that they'd be able to make the connection :)
  10. Triangle Man

Yeah. It ended ages ago, but it has hardcovers coming out now and a spin-off video game that I'm semi-interested in looking into. It's still an absolute monster of a story, though. I wouldn't try tackling it myself nowadays.

Honestly, it was more fun reading it while it was updating.

Hey, I like MHA too! Haven't caught up in a while, but it's a pretty solid read/watch/etc. I'm currently working my way through the Jojo Part 5 Adaption and Mob Psycho 100's second season, as well as a ton of books and podcasts all at the same time.

Thank you. It's kind of a comment on climate change inaction and trading in short-term benefits for long-term costs. I wrote that one as a bit of a vent, so I'm surprised it got published at all.

And hey, if it's gonna help people make that connection, then that's a positive outcome.
  11. Almost Human

Oh man, I'm glad HS did and is doing well, it seemed like it was really Hussie's baby. I can't imagine how many volumes that beast fills, and I really do hope that the conclusion lived up to the uh...complexity of what I can remember from the story, haha.

And yeah, when it was updating it kinda still felt like we were all playing a game together. Problem Sleuth had that same feel, so I can see how some charm is lost on a re-reading.

I haven't been able to get into Jojo, something about it just doesn't work well with my brain. I can never really figure out what I'm looking at or what's happening. What's Psycho Mob 100 about?
  12. Triangle Man

Yeah. I stopped long before the end of HS. My understanding of the ending was that it was a bit of an anti-climax. I honestly feel that it imploded in upon itself by the final act, mostly because it's complexity and scope grew beyond the point where it's stream-of-consciousness writing style could handle it. Still, it was a fun experiment while it lasted, and I have to give credit to Andrew Hussie for packing a lot of raw creative id into the comic. It's not bad for a rough draft.

I think that the game analogy is a good summary of how I feel about the comic. I can't imagine tackling the whole comic now. At least there's an actual HS Video Game out now!

That's fair. Araki's artwork is pretty distinctive and over-the-top. Very pretty, but I can see how it can be confusing as hell.

'Mob Psycho 100' is a Webcomic turned Anime about a kid named Shigeo, who's nicknamed 'Mob' due to his tendency to blend into the background. He has incredible psychic powers, but has a ton of anxieties around them and tries to control them by repressing his emotions. He works part-time as an exorcist for a guy named Reigan, a con-artist and fake psychic who is blatantly using the kid, but who is also the closest thing that he has to a genuine mentor. Mob just wants to have a normal life, and also build up his muscles so that he can impress his crush, but he keeps getting wrapped up in ridiculous misadventures involving evil spirits and psychic terrorists that frequently push him over the edge.

It is one of my favorite shows right now and I adore it. :)
  13. Almost Human

It's a shame but it makes sense, it's hard to have a climax that can really pack a punch when you've essientially created a universe. Well, multiple universes. You know what I mean, haha, got a bit too big to have a satiisfying end.

I am absolutely going to have to check out that show!

And holy fuck, sorry about the page outage for the past, what, two friggin weeks? My hosting service was refusing to give me service unless I upgraded to I had to scream at a lot of people to get it back.
    I don't think I like being blackmailed.
  14. canoe

canoe never odd or even

!!!! AH is back!! I'm so happy!! Congratulations on being art director!!!!!

Thank you for welcoming me back Triguy, sorry I didn't reply sooner, life got unexpectedly hectic after an extended period of calmness. Congratulations on your short story too!!

I followed Homestuck to the end, although I wasn't as emotionally invested as I was back in the day, and since the comic ended, I haven't kept up with any further developments. Still fond memories, but disappointed that the forums are gone forever. I liked looking at our past antics.
  15. Almost Human

Ah my precious canoe I have missed you! And thank you so much, this is a huge step for my career. I am terrified! And i think we all understand about life getting in the way haha

The home stuck forums are gone?? Damn. That actually makes me sadder than i expected. Like finding out your old house was torn down. Wish I could have extended them a hand and offered anyone who wanted to come here, although with my neglect of the forum for so long maybe it's better this way...

Thank God I still have a folder of all the drawings that were done for me from that era! Perhaps over the weekend I'll post what I have on here for posterities sake :)
  16. Triangle Man

@canoe - No problem. I've been in the middle of a period like that myself, so that's totally understandable.

@AH - I was wondering what happened with the forums. Glad you dealt with the blackmailers and happy to have the site back.

I admit that I have a lot more mixed feelings about the forum being gone, in part because I see my own posts as fairly cringy, but it was also a great time and one of the places that defined my University life. I guess I'm mostly happy that it happened in the first place, even if it's gone now. :)

Side Note - I sent a recent short story project to an old buddy for pre-reading help and set off a chain of events that's led to me joining two different writing groups and making a few new IRL friends/acquaintances.

I'm pretty happy about this turn of events. :)
  17. Almost Human

Ugh I have no doubt that my hosting jerk try to pull this crap with everyone after a while.
    "You site has too much traffic for your hosting plan! Pay us more!"
    Yeah alright, I'm super sure our tiny forums have been flooded suddenly with thousands of users.

I'm super happy for your new writing groups and friends though, that's rad as hell!! What do you guys do in your writing groups, is it like a round table critique or do you bounce ideas around? I'm quite curious, I've never been part of anything like that
  18. Triangle Man

In short, one of the group is a super-informal in-person social event coupled with an online chatroom that offers criticism, chats about the latest books everyone's been reading, and about the publishing industry more generally. The other is a combination 'just bring your laptop and write whatever' event along with group criticism and bouncing ideas around. It's all pretty relaxed so far.

Now I just have to get over my anxieties around actually talking about my stories.
  19. Almost Human

Hey man, that's the hardest part!
    I have a million "comics" I've started and aborted after like, 10 pages of drawings and tons of notes because I keep convincing myself that no one will like any of it. I friggin hear you there. Sounds like sweet groups though!