HL: the game

Discussion in 'The Arts' started by NotAPumpkin, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Almost Human

Almost Human Mightest of the Drunks Staff Member Bürgermeister

I forgot to mention earlier that I'm greatly enjoying the route this is taking and Ginger, that Warrior's reference is prefect in every way.
  2. Triangle Man

Triangle Man Cautiously Optimistic

Warrior the Movie or Warrior the Wrestler? Either way it's amazing.

I also move that Inex's human form also be portrayed as having a literal cut-out of a Manatee's head for a head. I am also okay with being punched repeatedly to gain access to the truth since a lifetime of beating myself up has made me invincible.
  3. Almost Human

Considering this movie still has me telling people, in real life, that I can in fact dig it, I feel I owe it a lot.
  4. NotAPumpkin

NotAPumpkin Game maker and tie breaker

Ging I am waving my hands in glee right now

Okay, I was. Now I am typing. But the point it, YES. Thank you.

ALSO YES

Hahahaha. Oh dear. Well I do have a mean left hook, let me tell ya.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I managed to get into gear yesterday and I still have a few hours left to be productive in tonight!
  5. gingerale

gingerale Dread Pirate

Hee, I'm glad you liked my little bit of writing! I kept checking repeatedly before I went to sleep because I was worried. ♪
  6. NotAPumpkin

Oh, is that what you were talking about in the skype chat a while ago? I saw that and responded WAY belatedly.

That's how I also feel about writing things all the time! Especially this. So having other people contribute is really appreciated! And totally awesome!
  7. Almost Human

Let me know if you guys want any direct feedback on anything. I've decided not to interfere at all with the writing process unless directly asked, I'm much more interested in seeing what you guys come up with than taking any control myself.
    I mention this in case my silence seems rude. I do think you guys are coming up with some really fun stuff and I'm very curious to see how it all hammers out.
  8. NotAPumpkin

Okay, this is a little overdue, but after battling valiantly with various word processors, scripting mechanisms, and shuttling files between both of my laptops, I managed to cobble together a short demo.
    By short, I mean it's roughly 10 000 words.

It includes the opening scenes of the game, plus introductions for Almost Human, Tesseract, Triangle Man, and Inexpediency. Also technically me, but only because I'm the person giving the tutorial-rundown of the forum and stuff.

It is incredibly shoddy because A) I'm only just getting to know the ropes of Ren'py, and B) I can't draw. All (placeholder, hopefully) art has been supplied courtesy of Google image search, save for a drawing of me done by my gf in MS Paint, with a trackpad. There isn't any music or anything.

Now that I have some work to show for this project, it might be easier to have people help out? That's what I'm hoping. A lot of writing needs to be done! Plus editing. Seriously. And drawing, which, if it has not yet become strikingly obvious, it will as soon as you play it.

Okay, I've never done this before, but I think if you want to give this a whirl you're going to have to download Ren'py itself.

Which can be done here!
    http://www.renpy.org/latest.html

Then you're going to want to make a new project and replace the game directory with the files handily available below:

http://www.filedropper.com/hlhavingfun

I'm pretty sure it will work. Not that I've ever tried it before...please let me know if it does/doesn't work. Or if there are glitches or something. Bluh.
    Guys writing about other people, even jokey versions of them, is so nervewracking ahhhh

Well, feedback sure helps me keep my eyes on the prize, haha.

I was going to end up asking you for help at some point or another, because pretty much everything you do is awesome. The dialogue in AH's MSPAFA was pretty amazing when I went back and read it again, and also you can draw things. This basically amounts to magic voodoo sorcery in my eyes.

But I guess do/don't do as much as you want? The problem here is that I am not at all a take-charge kind of person. And here I am starting a project that I will need other people's help to make at least somewhat successful!

I don't really know how to say it other than I am going to do a bunch of stuff, and I would be super over the moon if other people joined in, but also rounding up and delegating things to people is not a skill or talent that I have so far developed. Maybe I should start trying, I dunno.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  9. ectocal

ectocal Hapster

Nice. I can help edit the writing if you want.

If it's not weird I can write myself if you like
  10. Almost Human

I won't get to try it until this weekend but if you'd really like to sit down over the next few days and rap about this I can definitely start with some sketches and you and I can bat some dialogue back and forth, I just really didn't want to tear your baby from your arms and steal it for myself. Not that I would ever do that on purpose anyway, but I have a tendency to get a bit controlling when I get into a project and I didn't want to do that here.

If you'd like I can try and help you sort out an organized outline of what you need as well. If you want others to help it may work better if everyone knows what's done, what needs to be done and how they can help. Unless you guys have been sorting that out in chat, in which case carry on, my friends!

Oh wow, really? I'm legitimately and sincerely surprised to hear you say that (and incredibly flattered!). You're in luck if you like that dialogue though because there was a super simple trick to writing every voice in the MSPAFA; they were all just either me, or someone reacting to me.
    Yes, I'm afraid it's true. With each normal update (the weird animated one aside) only being about 3 days apart and written on the fly, I didn't have a lot of time to think about giving people who would only show up for a quick word or two any real depth and compensated by just giving everyone my own obnoxious tones, which is why even the shyer members have no problem speaking their mind when rendered in lovely, hastily drawn AH lineart.
    So, good news, I haven't really changed that much since it's inceptions in terms of being an obnoxious, overtly sexual, alcoholic, impulsive, oblivious, sarcastic bastard, so I could probably easily help you out there, should you so desire.

If you would enjoy leading projects in the future, I can do my best to help you develop said skills on this forum, should you so choose. Or at least to the best of my abilities. If not, I won't be hurt, so don't worry about that.
  11. NotAPumpkin

Heh heh, mostly I've just been using the skype thing to spring random questions on people. I would really like to sit down and rap about this! If you have a habit of getting controlling, I have a habit of being vague and wishy-washy to a degree that I'm certain baffles everyone around me. But I'm no pushover, and now that I have a base established I think I'm okay with getting the ball rolling on working as a team :)

Leadership is a skill that I'll probably find useful in the future, so I'm game for giving it a shot!

should I start calling you Almonds-senpai?

Well, I enjoy it A LOT, but I also know that I have a tendency to mercilessly make fun of people I enjoy being around when given lisense to :p
    Maybe it's just the environment I grew up in, but I'm always a little paranoid that not everyone will appreciate this.

Basically, I enjoy being silly and ridiculous and writing people being equally silly and ridiculous. So if you like shenanigans boy howdy you are in luck.If anything normal is going on for more than a paragraph, I'm immediately compelled to make strange things happen.

That being said, I would be super jazzed if you want to help write! You write cool things; of this I am aware. Writing yourself is fun in the sense that you can feel free to be as bizarre or insane as you want, which is awesome. And I had a few vague ideas where you might fit into the plot, but it's not yet substantial enough for me to have written a whole lot. So we should jam about this!
  12. Triangle Man

God I've been drifting in and out of this without making a solid commitment. :/

I'm basically taking a weekend off from the internet for reasons, but I am still up for this. Only thing is that I'm not sure if I feel comfortable writing other IRL people, although I've already given you licence to go nuts in my case. Suggested areas for parody include my self-deprivation,

lapses into bizarre conspiracy theorizing,

obsessive tendencies

and bizarre rants,

Also Literary References out the Wazzoo.

@ AH - your adventure was objectively amazing and a blast while it still lasted, so I trust you to make an outstanding show with this particular project as well. I wonder if there's some Eastern-Canadian folk-tales that can also be parodied here?

Either that or just take some Arrogant Worms songs and run with it.

Also, should the final battle with Shia Labouf basically turn into a turn-based RPG for no reason? - Or at the very least, one of the endings literally results in Ragnarok occurring to the sound of Heavy Metal after the Play Character regains their memories...
  13. Almost Human

@ Tri: I'm glad you enjoyed it, I didn't have any Maritmer stuff in my adventure, and it's entirely up to NaP if she wants to add something like that in here for me or herself. I don't think I'm a particularly complex character to write for, so I'm leaving that entirely in her capable hands.

Awesome! What would be easier for you? We can communicate through the forums, through PMs or I could meet you on a live chat should you so prefer. I'll be around the house all day today, since I'm a tad worse for wear from last night, so anything really works for me.

It probably goes without saying, but "Do what thou wilt, shall be the whole of the law" when it comes to writing for me. You cannot possibly insult me or let me down.
  14. NotAPumpkin

Well, it's more like writing bizarre mirror versions of IRL people, but I know what you mean, hahaha. Fun over accuracy is definitely the goal here.
    As for you, you shall be very you-like indeed with the excellent tips you have bestowed upon me. ...I hope.
    Oh yeah, and when I next revise the script (I do this a lot, but I'm trying to focus on "more stuff" over "fixing stuff already done"), I'll be consulting the google docs for edits.

Now that you mention it, why not? Eastern Canadian things rock. I'll probably have some nautical nonsense in my own route, at the very least.
    ....Not including AH's outstanding rendition of Barrett's Privateers in their introduction.

Oh man this would be so awesome. I would love to do this if possible, but it would include programming skills I do not posses. But if we can swing it, it shall be swung.
  15. NotAPumpkin

Yet another status update: Thanks to the multi-talented and gracious Almost Human's guidance, an organizational structure is rising from the primordial mass of data I have so far compiled.

Stay tuned for the next exciting update, where YOU TOO can join in on exciting adventures in collaboration.
  16. Triangle Man

I've been busy again - but super-awesome nonetheless! I'll take another look at it again in-between study breaks today, okay?

Update for the rant suggestion from last night, if a relevant topic comes up...

I love that you love my suggestions and would further suggest that, should the Current Events Thread come up in the story, that it should be depicted as somewhat disused and crawling with roving gangs of political ideologies.
  17. Almost Human

Sooo while I was walking home from work today my mind started to wander a bit and I got to thinking about the game, probably because I work all day at making a terrible game and am constantly thinking about games I'd rather be working on, like a sick point and click or hey, an interactive version of a silly idea I had a few years back.
    ANYWAY
    I was considering how we could exposit and introduce people, areas and ideas without just having an invisible narrator and pages and pages of text. I started considering how games have done it in the past, both in ways I like and ways I don't and I thought of something for this but I don't know if you'll like it because it may change too much about the story line and the setup.
    Soooo I'm excited to tell you, but weary as well because, as I've mentioned before, I don't want to take the reigns from anyone. Let me know if you're interested or if you're pretty set on things following the path they're on because I'm super down for that and will not be offended at all.
  18. Triangle Man

Re: Exposition - Honestly, I do think that NaP's current methods for doing this are pretty workable - that is, sort of letting people get into conversations with various characters and dropping information where it makes sense. Still, I'm also saying this as a Prose Author and not as a game designer, and the rules do work differently for visual media than they do with print, so what is your current idea for setting up plot, setting, characters, etc.?
  19. Almost Human

I didn't mean to imply that what NaP has doesn't work great, I just had a bit of a different idea. Now that I've stepped away from it all for a bit though I think I'll just continue to watch from the sidelines like I said I would before.
  20. NotAPumpkin

Still working on making accessible docs.
    and playing pokemon why is it so COMPELLING

Despite my remarkable ability to slack off, it's coming along.

Thank you!!

Man, I'm excited to write bizarre rants.

Re: Current Events Thread
    Hahaha yes absolutely, this is a excellent idea. Ideas for how threads could be presented are welcome!

This has been plaguing me as well! Or at least causing me to think really hard a lot.
    Nothing is really dead set for me. I'm the kind of person who really enjoys editing and re-vamping things, so I'm all about that.

I would really like to hear this. The way I did it was for maximum simplicity, because my chief concern in this endeavor is not getting in over my head. There's only so much I can do on my own, and I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. This also means that the more support and help that comes in, the more crazy and complicated this can get!

Basically all I am saying is that whenever people show even a shred of intrest in this, even in passing, I have a minature happy heart attack. So keep it coming! Whatever it is I solumnly swear I will be delighted to hear it :D