HL: the game

Discussion in 'The Arts' started by NotAPumpkin, Nov 7, 2014.

1. NotAPumpkin

NotAPumpkin Game maker and tie breaker

I had an idea where near the end of your route you are super excited over something awesome that just happened and yell "LET'S MAKE OUT!"
    and then immediately afterwards you're like "WOW THAT WAS PRETTY LAME" and carry on as usual

Platonic routes ftw

Truly, Guy Fawkes Day was a fortuitous time for a heist.

edit: I updated the OP to reflect stuff that has been hashed out!
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  2. lovelyAssistant

lovelyAssistant Made of language

I am so behind but can I get into this I can help with writing if we need

Also, visual-novel-wise, from what I've seen mostly VNs tend to work with a 'Common Route', which is the part of the story 'common' to all 'routes', and then break off into the more specific routes depending on the choices made in the Common Route. If we want to get more complicated then there can be branching points past the Common Route, or it can all be based off of choices in the Common route.

Or, basically...
    [​IMG]
    or
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  3. Triangle Man

Triangle Man Cautiously Optimistic

If you're going to do my route, then I'd want an apprentice more than a love interest? I dunno, I'm not really sure what's going on here just yet, although the OP is giving some ideas.

If you want me to do some editing/more writing then I can still try that? I wouldn't know where to start to be honest, aside from coming up with ways to wedge every single conspiracy theory ever into the narrative.
  4. NotAPumpkin

Yeah I'm still figuring this out. I think ultimately it's gonna be more focused on "look adventure is happening" than "romance shenanigans" because I'm not very good at the latter, hahahahahaaaaa...

My goal at this point is to do as much as possible and then revise later so that the chances of this getting finished (in some form) increase!

I think I'll revise the project type to "HL Visual Novel, with romance elements" for now.

So far what I have does the "Initial common route and then split" thing, which basically amounts to: Show up at HL-> get the low-down on the area-> explore and choose someone to hang out with -> Route.

I'm thinking of having scenes common to all/some routes that go in different directions depending on the route you're currently on.
    For example:
    Common scene: everyone is at a party.
    On Triguy's route, you find him snooping around the punchbowl, spying on people.
    On AH's route, you get dragged out to the dance floor.

It would make writing easier, anyway.

Yeah, we can totally do this.
    And I totally was gonna make you a conspiracy theorist in-story, how did you know?? :p

RE writing: If it's just me writing it, it'll probably be pretty short, so having people help out would be grand!

I'm currently working on a quick demo, which is comprised of the introduction and the beginning scenes of a few routes. When that's out I think it'll be time to get down to brass tacks!

Updating OP yet again. This is likely to occur a lot.
  5. Almost Human

Almost Human Mightest of the Drunks Staff Member Bürgermeister

You can do whatever you feel like writing on my path; become my devoted minion, best friend, worst enemy or romantic partner, I do not mind one way or the other.
    I'm not sure exactly how putting this all together works, but I think it's a good idea not to get too hung up in the details yet anyway. Broad strokes, and all that.
    Unless you need all the details to move forward, then just ignore me.
  6. NotAPumpkin

Nah, that's pretty much what I'm doing.

Like the advancement of human civilization, my plan is essentially:

PROGRESS PROGRESS PROGRESS oh wait lead is poisonous PROGRESS PROGRESS oops asbestos gives us cancer PROGRESS -> SHINY NICE THINGS

In other words: Do first, fix later.
  7. Almost Human

Almost Human Mightest of the Drunks Staff Member Bürgermeister

I can diggit! I shall be here in the background cheering you on then!
  8. ectocal

ectocal Hapster

I can do that! I'm a little bit fuzzy on how you're laying all this out (I've never played one of these games before), but I'd be glad to help however I can.
  9. Triangle Man

Re - Conspiracy - Yes perfect! And I bet that's because I sound like one when I get on a roll.

Re:Writing - Maybe if we made a google doc for this it would make collaboration easier?
  10. NotAPumpkin

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cfRTy75QMvlPYuSdq0mmGteBQUEf1wfMCaMDUCFw6JY/edit?usp=sharing

Google docs, you say? Well, let's give it a shot. I've been writing the script on the fly in Ren'py so I can also test if it'll run without crashing the game, so that's what format this is in. It might make it a little hard to read. Mostly I was focused on getting my variables, labels, indentations, and tags to agree so the game has an actual structure.
    Oh, and for whatever reason I've been writing it in second person so far.

This is the bulk of what I have accomplished right now. Basically, I created separate script files for each different character (wow I wrote that as chatacter. How appropriate) for ease of organization, but Ren'py reads all the files like one big one.

Ok I should probably put more effort into this but I'm going to bed so I'll do it later.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  11. Triangle Man

Thank you very much, although the editing needs to be turned on for me to make any actual changes to the docs (if that's okay with you).

Also requesting that this exchange/variant of an exchange from last night's chat make it into the story somehow.

Or something.
  12. NotAPumpkin

Ahahaha, that's a good idea. Both the dialogue and turning on the editing feature! Thanks!

As soon as I figure out how to do that, anyhow.

edit: Okay, it should work now. Anyone feel free to add stuff and edit.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  13. Triangle Man

Thank you very much and I'm already doing a few edits. Not sure how far I should go, however...
  14. NotAPumpkin

Do whatever you want! I have the hard copies on my computer, so add/subtract/comment/whatever at will. You can write in the margins, make suggestions...maybe write in a different font colour though? I think this weekend I'm going to try to hash out a more definite plan for things, which I'll also make a google doc for. I've been acting a bit wishy-washy, but I should maybe stop having so little confidence in my own ideas??

edit: oh snap google docs already colours edits. So useful.

Anyways, thanks, Triguy!
  15. NotAPumpkin

Okay, I'm still working on this, I've just been slacking off hugely because I have too many feelings about life, and schoolwork.
    Plus I'm shuttling documents between my two laptops because I have absolutely abysmal organizational skills! I'll try to do some stuff tonight, and maybe I'll have something to show for it.
  16. NotAPumpkin

Okay, I quickly jotted down some story planning stuff while I wasn't busy in class, including the overarching plot and some people's roles in it. I haven't gotten to everyone yet, but it's a start. Any suggestions are welcome!

HL game: the deets

Setting: Hidden Level, of course! Going with the flow of AH’s MSPAFA, where forums are weird places that defy the boundries of space-time or something.

- I guess it looks outwardly like a big building in the seedy part of town, wherever that is (“Raccoon City”?).

- Most of the forum is fairly normal in terms of how it’s layed out, but The Basement in particular can lead pretty much anywhere. It can be used as a shortcut to anywhere in the forums, but also strange and bizarre places. Sort of like the sauna leading to the ballroom in the AH MSPAFA

Characters:

A list of people currently involved can be found on the thread OP!

- I’m not great with visual design or art skills, so I’m definitely going to need help with character design. How are we going to depict people? I’m going with “everyone appears mostly human-shaped" for now.

Some plans for what people are doing (I’m still working on others):

- Tesseract builds robots

- Inex is a multitalented artist

- LA is a wizardess

- Vark is a master thief/demolitions expert

- Triguy is a private eye

- Almonds is in charge of the forum

- Gingerale: a pirate?

- canoe is a doctor

Plot:

I’m continually revising this, but basicall it goes: actual cannibal Shia Labouf, having previously conquered the MSPAF with killer bees, is now looking to take down Hidden Level, which is run by his arch-enemy Almost Human. Almost Human’s evil twin, Nearly Human, is working for him. At the beginning of the plot, nobody knows this except NaP and the people trapped in The Basement.

Meanwhile at the forum, The Basement is on the fritz (it’s become way too easy to get lost in there) and people have gone missing. Most notably LA, Vark, and Gingerale. Shia Labouf, who is a witch doctor as well as an actual cannibal, has cursed the place to trap anyone who discovers his plot down there. Hidden Level is connected to the MSPA through the space-time maze of the Basement, and that is where Labeouf has set up his base of operations.

Individual storylines:

Some of these kind of twine together. Everyone has a plotline that has to do with their role in discovering the plot to take over the forum, and in the end everyone gets together for a good old fashioned battle.

NaP: Is working at the front desk of HL, hoping to round up some new people because she was told it might make Labeouf leave them alone (actually he just wants to eat them). At the beginning of the story, she’s the only one aware of the evil plot to take over HL, but can’t tell anyone because she’s been cursed to start punching people uncontrollably if she tells them. She anonymously hires triguy to look into the disappearances of the missing forumers in an attempt to tip everyone off.

Triguy: Hired to look into the mysterious disappearences, Triguy sets off on the case, interviewing suspects and witnesses in an attempt to get to the bottom of whatever’s going on. Eventually he cracks down on NaP and the plot comes to light.

Tesseract: Is trying to fix up a bot that wandered into Hidden Level one day, but it’s not really working out. When the bot goes missing suddenly, he goes looking for it. It later turns out that the bot was working for Labeouf all along.

Almonds: After a night of getting smashed with the MC of this story, AH wakes up to find all of their kickass superpowered ties missing. This turns out to be a part of a larger conspiracy led by Nearly Human, AH’s evil twin.

Vark: Has gone missing in the basement, but is actually in there by choice and is perfectly fine. Along with the MC, she wants to raid a weapons facility to steal a bunch of cool stuff to use in the final battle (sort of like a bank robbery :p)

Gingerale: After getting lost in the Basement, Gingerale turns to piracy to battle the forces of Shia Labeouf. Ging and the MC team up to rescue LA, whose wizardess powers can help them get back to the forum!

LA: Has been trapped in an Alice-in-Wonderland-esque scenario by Shia Labeouf’s evil magics. She escapes with the MC’s help and teams up with Gingerale to escape the curse.

Inex: Has been transformed into a manatee by a curse, but is conflicted over whether or not to try to turn back, because being a manatee turns out to be awesome. Although it makes it kind of hard to hold a pen. Somehow this all ties in to the main plot, but in the end she becomes a were-manatee.

That's it for now.
  17. if u need a necromancer in the story i will fill that role bc that is my dream job

also being a cutesmith but i mean

also it all sounds A+ to me!
  18. gingerale

gingerale Dread Pirate

Ahaha, that's lovely. I don't know the first thing about piracy besides the wonderful, wonderful fashions. Also ships. That preferably fly. One day. ♪
  19. Triangle Man

I forgot about this for a number of reasons, but...

...I do like where the story is going, though! Not much else to add at this point except that Gingy should be a Sky Pirate (clearly).
  20. gingerale

gingerale Dread Pirate

Enter the Nearly Human.
    Everything has gone dark. You feel something wet on the side of your face as you lay on a hard metal grid. Slowly the voices in the room start to make sense and you manage to see lights down below. You close your eyes again to keep the pain back and listen. Cheering crowd. Someone is.. giving a speech?

You push yourself up trying to fight a grunt and take a look at your surroundings. It seems your fall was broken by a metal catwalk above a large room somewhere far beneath the Hidden Level. The crowd is cheering so loud down below it's no surprise they didn't hear you, literally, falling in.

You try to see who these people are. They look like... bots... hackers... all of the undesired. Your eyes move to the man, or is it a woman?, up on a platform underneath bright lights. The crowd is still cheering at him too loud for you to hear him. He looks familiar to you somehow. That cap, the horns, is that a goatee...? The recognition strikes you like bolt of lightning as the man below raises his hands to the ceiling, faces towards the skies, and bellows at the cheering crowd, "Cann youu dig iiiiiiiit!"

(I'm sorry, felt like writing something.)