GOTTA [TIRED PUN] 'EM ALL [POKEMON]

Discussion in 'Pop Culture' started by atomic, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Almost Human

Almost Human Mightest of the Drunks Staff Member Bürgermeister

I just got a fletchling actually, and I named him Dapper. He seems pretty cool, but I haven't made any decisions about whether he'll stay on the team or not. Not too stoked on this pidgy but I can't help but want to keep him around for old times sake. I may be too sentimental for this game.
  2. WELL YOU'LL PROBABLY GET MORE SENTIMENTAL A LITTLE BIT AFTER THE FIRST GYM 8U
  3. Almost Human

I...I am scared to go look then! Will the feelings make me explode?
    I'm still in the first forest, admittedly. I'm so bad for grinding in this game.
  4. Once you get past the first gym you won't NEED to grind, trust me on this. This is the first pokemon game where my team was actually OVERLEVELED for everything, and I only ever fight trainers :U
  5. Almost Human

You're completely right and I am kind of noticing that now. Huh. Whoops.
    Also, I couldn't figure out why every character was throwing a shit ton of poke balls my way for free but I get it now; there's too many bloody pokemon.
    Almost every trip I take into some tall grass shows me a new pokemon, which I feel obligated to catch thanks to 15 years of brainwashing, but I just got my first bag, literally just got it, and already have 30 unique, unevolved pokemon caught.
    Don't get me wrong, the variety is fun, but jeeze it's a bit overwhelming.
  6. Almost Human

Also: Is there a goat pokemon yet? I really really want one.
  7. ectocal

ectocal Hapster

8. Almost Human

Sweeet!
    I waaaant one!

Some drunken drawing:

[​IMG]
  9. oh no that's REALLY CUTE AH

and yeah you can get a Skiddo [which evolves into Gogoat] a little bit after Luminose City [they're fairly common if I remember correctly]
  10. Almost Human

I totally just got one and named him Mr. Pants and he'll be joining my party as soon as I hit the next town!

Also this:
    [​IMG]
  11. im so happy that you're using a skitty and zigzagzoon you have no idea
  12. Almost Human

Haha, well, I'm using them until I can trade them in for world ripping monsters at least.
    Although I may hold on to Zigzagoon regardless. I love the way he moves, it makes me crazy happy for some reason.
  13. Not going to lie, first time I saw Zigzagzoon in the game I squee'd really hard it's so damn cute it just MOVES SO FLUIDLY AND WONDERFULLY IT'S GREAT.
  14. Almost Human

Those are pretty much my exact thoughts on the matter as well.
    Damn, I'm having a problem though; there are so many pokemon to choose from any my team can only hold six. I gotta stop getting so attached to all these little virtual pets or I'm never going to get passed level 15.
    150 made it so much easier!
  15. Yeah, as a general rule of thumb for myself I'll almost always use mons I haven't really used before whenever playing a pokemon game. That's how I manage to keep my team to about 6 :V

[Once you get the exp. share item it's pretty easy to keep changing mons in your team and keep them all relatively the same level so there is that!]
  16. Triangle Man

Triangle Man Cautiously Optimistic

Ah, I've never been that good at 'Team Rotation' in Pokemon. Usually it starts with me doing a decent job of it, but by the end of the game there's usually a 'solidified' team of Mons that are at a much higher level compared to the rest of them. I then come to regard them fondly; my favourite team out of the ones I have fielded and can still remember is the Gen IV group of Infernape, Luxray, Roserade, Azumarrill, Bronzong and (technically) Lucardio (although I switched out that last one with a Dalgia for the specific purpose of murdering the champion's Dragon type).

...But yeah. There is still a ton of likeable Pokemon in these games and it's hard picking favourites!
  17. Cucurbita

Cucurbita Filled with Candy

Sooo, who's excited for the new games??

[​IMG]

I'm def gonna get pokemon Sun! The changes to the format is probably what I find most exciting, in particular the removal of the traditional gym and E4 system. It remains to be seen if Trial Captains and Kahunas are a good replacement, but it is at the very least refreshing to see them try something new. It's also nice to see attention payed to creating interesting new abillities and moves. The two simian pokemons are probably the best example. Reciever and Instruct are really cool for doubles! plenty of other cool new stuff, such as the toxic lizard and general priority move blocking introduced in a variety of ways.

My greatest worry is that I find the rehashing of Kanto content quite lazy and frankly improper way of celebrating the 20th anninversary. I understand WHY it's being done, but I was already burnt out on Kanto after gen 6s favorism for it. I had hoped that the 20th anniversary would celebrate all of the different regions, but instead we get Alola Forms, which are all kanto mons and frankly mostly uninspired garabage with a dark type tacked on. There's a few exceptions such as Exeggutor and Marowak. but everything else, in my opinion, is just not very good.

I also find Z-moves a MUCH less cool version of Mega Evolution and rather wish they had continued to explore the possibilites of the latter than move on to something new so quickly.

That's enough ranting from me lol. What are your thoughts on the new games? Do you like the pokémon? Anything you definitely wanna put on your team?
  18. Almost Human

I'm super sad to admit it, but I think I'm actually pokemon'd out. It's impossible at this point to actually catch em all, there are too many pokemon, too many types, too many team rocket rip offs, too many pointless items and gadgets, too many allies (seriously last time I set out with a group of like, four other kids, and my rival was the nicest dude on the planet)...I just can't seem to have fun with it anymore. It doesn't feel like an adventure so much as a tedious slog through the same landscape with different paint on the walls.
    Although it's also possible that, as someone in their late 20's, my old man brain just can't handle it anymore.
    I'm glad people are still excited and having fun with it all, I think it's just not for me anymore.
  19. Tesseract

Tesseract Regrets Choices Thus Far

A lot of that might be the fact that they're still stuck on a format made for the NES that they're afraid to change
  20. Triangle Man

Triangle Man Cautiously Optimistic

First, I probably won't end up getting this game. That said (and in my opinion), I'm also impressed with the fact that Nintendo is actually mixing up the Standard formula after all these years. The 'Alola Forms', and the very concept of Pokemon changing their appearance and typing to adapt to different regions, is something that seems so obvious that it should have happened a long time ago; although I can also understand complaints about it being 'pandering' given the way that it was implemented (why only Kanto, Gamefreak?!). Plus, I like the change-up with the 'Island Challenge' instead of the generic Pokemon League, which adds a lot of flavouring this Hawaiian Island-themed area. Long story short, there's a lot of worldbuilding in this new game that seems like a good thing for the franchise as a whole. As well as the hopes of a more involved story this time around. :p

Gameplay wise (and I've mentioned this before), I'm of two minds. The first is the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' mindset, which doesn't need explaining. The other is that they may as well change the battle system while they add/change so many other things about it. However, it should also be something that builds on what came before it. I'm thinking a sort of 'mini-tactics game' of some kind...

@ AH - Yeah, I feel you. I think that it was you yourself who basically told me that the best thing you could do if a piece of media didn't work for you anymore, one of the best thing you could do was to move on. It's something that I've kept close to me, especially as I've started seeing more and more instances of hardcore nerdy-types essentially getting angry with their childhood diversions for basically failing to grow up alongside them (myself included).

Which is basically a long way of saying that there's nothing wrong with losing interest in this series.

'Cause I'm probably not gonna get this either, gotta clear 'Treasure Adventure Game'. @_@
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016