[GAME CHAT] have YOU made a game today?

Discussion in 'Pop Culture' started by Varkarrus, Jul 13, 2011.

1. CSJ

CSJ Guest

http://www.renpy.org/

I have been looking at this for a while; while I do not have the time/skills to make a game on my own, I really want to be able to make something with this engine. It is pretty damn easy to work with for basic projects.

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/index.php

Forums with a shitton of documentation, guides and such for every aspect of the system, including ways of implementing an isometric RPG system.

Incidentally, there's a competition held every March, under the name 'Nanoreno'. Those of you who like making games may be interested.
  2. Varkarrus

Varkarrus I have class

if I was going to make my own visual novel, I'd make my own engine in gamemaker so I could have more flexibility... That's just me, though.
  3. CSJ

CSJ Guest

Ren'py is built on Pygame, so it should have more than enough flexibility, especially if you play around with the source code and some of its features.
  4. Tesseract

Tesseract Regrets Choices Thus Far

Have you considered learning flash?

Gamemaker kinda sucks
  5. NotAPumpkin

NotAPumpkin Game maker and tie breaker

@CSJ: Ooh, you're planning on making a visual novel? I love those! I would be happy to try it out if you get started :3

Any plans for what it would be about?
  6. Varkarrus

Varkarrus I have class

bleh every flash game I have ever played (save amorphous+) is terrible and I have no idea why, plus flash is a dying language anyways.
  7. CSJ

CSJ Guest

Not a pure Visual Novel, but Social Sims/Raising sims with literary elements. I have plenty of ideas, but not the knowledge or talent to make something out of them. Coding and drawing make me cry.

I posted an idea of mine there not too long ago. I have done plenty of research on the genre and all that, but I'd need a team first.
  8. NotAPumpkin

NotAPumpkin Game maker and tie breaker

I like the Semi-Historical idea best :eek:

Sounds like fun! I would definitely play it. I'm afraid I have no skills in game design, but I guess if I could do anything it would be script editing, if that's a thing? Hahaha.
  9. CSJ

CSJ Guest

It probably can, though in order for this to be a thing that can actually happen, we will have to recruit ALL the people. All of them.

EDIT:
    HOW DID I NOT SEE THIS?

brb, kidnapping you now.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2013
  10. I'm in my senior year of a programming degree, and I might have a little time to help out if you need it.
  11. Xenothral

Xenothral Your Friendly Neighbourhood Space Captain

I haven't made a game today, but I also get 1000% sidetracked when I try to even start to learn a programming language.
  12. CSJ

CSJ Guest

13. Almost Human

Almost Human Mightest of the Drunks Staff Member B├╝rgermeister

Spoilers for Bioshock Infinite and Dead Space 3:

I just realized that if I get the urge to play a game where you aid a downtrodden black women in a rebellion against the oppressive ruler of a city based in the industrial revolution with whom you share a blood relation, I have two games to choose from.

And if I want to beat up the moon, I have 3.
  14. Tempt Light

>Download<
    Windows Only.

A short game by myself [Mr. LL / Terrorbuns / Robbie].

Explore a dark cave inhabited by dangerous creatures. Avoid them and find the exit!

This was made in approximately 8-9 hours and has no sound or music.

Controls are explained in game, with the exception of being able to remove torches by pressing down.

There are two endings.

[​IMG]

(I made this just to sort of vent frustration so I apologize for any minor bugs I might've missed/not fixed and probably frustrating bits. I don't really plan on going back and fixing much up but I'll look at criticisms anyways.)

Also as a last note, this game is DARK. As in literally. You may need to brighten your screen a little.

There is no actual save file in this game.

---

Speaking of making games in a day, guess what I did. Hah.
  15. Tesseract

Tesseract Regrets Choices Thus Far

I tried playing it but I couldn't see anything, even with my monitor fully brightened