[GAME CHAT] have YOU made a game today?

Discussion in 'Pop Culture' started by Varkarrus, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Yeah, I have a feeling that that was actually the easy part. We'll see. The only reason I actually have the willpower to go through this torture is because I really want to start writing games. I would love to make a 2D turn-based RPG because no one makes those anymore.
  2. Varkarrus

Varkarrus I have class

Speak of the devil. I was trying (and failing) to create a better version of the really old game, Quest Editor.

Sadly, it's harder than I thought.

Shame, since me and my friends would LOVE something like that.
  3. Hmmmm, Quest Editor. I'll see about that. If I end up doing that it probably won't be for a little while.
  4. Varkarrus

Varkarrus I have class

Quest Editor is crappy.

I downloaded it excitedly and was so dissappointed. Barely any control whatsoever. No custom sprites as far as I can tell either. Or custom maps.
  5. Varkarrus

Varkarrus I have class

Here's Tao so far
    [​IMG]
    http://www.mediafire.com/?2wvw1zn07dqnmnl

The controls are:

WASD
    Left click: Punch (/throw)
    Right click: Block
    Z: Invisible Cone of Death
    X: Grab (only works on Rockets so far)

You can't die yet, and the cone of death can be used infintely (but is oddly not overpowered, considering how it leaves you vulnerable)
  6. Vark, I think I found a bug. You can block immediately after using the invisible cone of death (during the period of vulnerability). I'm assuming this wasn't intended.
  7. Varkarrus

Varkarrus I have class

you are right and it has actually already been fixed. Thanks for giving it a try!

I totally lied to seem competent. Now it's been fixed for realsies.
  8. No problem! I always look forward to playing your games!

This one is really good so far.
  9. Varkarrus

Varkarrus I have class

hee hee thanks would you beleive I only started it yesterday?

neither can I!

next up on my to-do list is fix MASSIVE building related bugs that you most likely didn't notice (stuff involving buildings being deleted once they get too far away, but leaving stuff behind????)
    then adding upgrades (one will let you one shot that gunship (which is a boss, btw), by picking it up and throwing it.)

most upgrades are going to be pretty OP, but I'm going to add more and more OP enemies, ranging from more powerful gunships to a weaponized sattelite (I'll call it the Lil' Timmy!) that fires wormholes at you.
  10. DevilEd

DevilEd Call me BellaDante

That's really good vark,

Also the enemies will occasionally run to their deaths while your flying around.
  11. Yeah, that too. I thought that was really funny.
  12. Varkarrus

Varkarrus I have class

me too

I find it f*cking hilarious, and it's likely going to remain in for a wee bit as such.
  13. Varkarrus

Varkarrus I have class

oh man I made an epic final boss battle (VS. Zorspoink) In HAM, and proceeded to kick the everloving shit out of it with ~150 HP Bigger Frog abuse. Also used Hamsterkin Bee Mechs to bring it's regeneration down to -13 (enough to kill practically any units in the game in 2 turns).

shame it's not complete yet. But I totally love that effect you get when you are listening to this new peice that hasn't played at any earlier point in the game, bam, you beat the boss... everything fades to black. There's some flashes, BAM 2*5 tile Eldritch Horror floats there motionless, lets out a ROAR, and begins flapping his music as the normal game music-- the one you hear when facing the AI or a friend-- kicks in. It sent shivers down my spine!

Freaking 150 HP, all other stats are labelled ???. But because he can't move, you get to take the fight to him!

He's also, at a certain amount of health, move forward a square, showing off the REST of him!
  14. illisid

illisid Guest

guysguysguys

my brother is this close to finishing the halfway demo for his game

but it's finals week and we sent a build to a few friends and found a few bugs he has no idea how to fix soooo it'll either be really quick or not so quick that it's out

just thought you should know

here this is the game I'm talking about:

[video=youtube;2VYfY-jvLJ0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2VYfY-jvLJ0[/video]
  15. Nopad

Nopad Guest

on final fantasy i

was in this dungeon
    going through a narrow passage
    at literally every step, there is a cued random battle featuring basically the same party of monsters above level for the rest of the dungeon
    i go through almost all of it, but my black mage ran out of mp so i head out to inn
    i try again a couple days later, conserving mp more this time
    there was no treasure or anything; the passage took me back to the start of the dungeon
  16. illisid

illisid Guest

Alright my brother's halfway demo is out! He would love any feedback, if you guys are interested in playing it!

Linky
  17. Xenothral

Xenothral Your Friendly Neighbourhood Space Captain

No games really yet, still learning how to code this thing I got.

I did finally get it to say "Hello!" though!

Spin is a really interesting language.

[​IMG]

e: The overhead for getting simple text output is kind of silly.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2012
  18. Traikan

Traikan I have scales

HEY THREAD

Check my bumps!

[​IMG]

New Features:
    • Player state indicator showing "Ready" or "Aiming" (more states to come)
    • Fully functional ranged combat!
    • Line of fire/max range display (in red) showing viable targets while in aiming mode
    • Diagonal movement costs 2 squares.
  19. Traikan

Traikan I have scales

Progress for the progress god!

[​IMG]

New Features:
    • Field of view is now a gradient between the lit and dark map colors. This looks really cool.
    • Items can now stack! Just healing potions for now, but it's super easy to make new items stack, or to make the inventory show other item stats (durability, maybe?)
    • (Not pictured)Changed the "new turn" text to a lighter blue because it was kind of hard to read.
  20. Traikan

Traikan I have scales

More progress on Detox!

[​IMG]

New features:
    • Ammo! Guns use ammo, ammo comes in neat little boxes.
    • Clip juggling! Rather than do the standard 'bullet pool' model I gave each clip of ammo an internal variable to store how full it is. Partially used clips stay in the inventory to be used later.
    • Ammo types! Standard and armor piercing for now, plenty of room for more types later.