[GAME CHAT] have YOU made a game today?

Discussion in 'Pop Culture' started by Varkarrus, Jul 13, 2011.

1. illisid

illisid Guest

it's also better than anything I can make hahhaa. I used to be better than him too...
  2. MadameSB

MadameSB Hot blooded

Oh wow illisid!
    Your brother does impressive work!
  3. Traikan

Traikan I have scales

Oh jesus, how do I make code.

I've been re-learning Python and following a very nice roguelike tutorial which resulted in this after a couple days of work:

[​IMG]

Maybe I can finish this one.
  4. konec0

konec0 Guest

I would like to make games but
    1) bad at graphics
    2) worse at code
    3) it will ultimately be a massive timesink that I will probably just get really frustrated at over and over
    so =<
  5. Traikan

Traikan I have scales

A hard days work and I'm done with the tutorial!

Check it:
    [​IMG]

A main menu with fully functional saving and loading.

[​IMG]

Items to pick up and an inventory screen that lets you use or drop the stuff you're carrying.

[​IMG]

And mouse targeted fireball spells. (you can't really see the mouse targeting, but it's there)

Tomorrow I start refining the engine and then I'll actually begin making the game... for realsies.
  6. qiam

qiam Guest

This is like Megaman meets Castlevania meets Terarria. Looks cool!
  7. Varkarrus

Varkarrus I have class

I've been juggling ideas in my own head for a pokemon game

So for Starters I have:
    Grass: Peckish -> Ravenous -> Starvopteryx (Hungry Bird type, grass/flying)
    Fire: Magmadillo -> Glyptoknight -> Armadigneous (Armadillo type, fire/ground)
    Water: Aquimp -> Tsumonkey -> Tripocalypse (Sea Monkey type, water/psychic)

and an early pokemon would be the normal type Hamstyke, which would evolve into fighting type Champster.
  8. biggs hoson

biggs hoson ghosts need love too

A fire type that can use rollout? That sounds ridiculously scary.
  9. MadameSB

MadameSB Hot blooded

I like the sounds of these pokemon!
    Me and my brother used to make them up, so if ideas for pokemon are needed I'm your guy.

Right now though my project is my artistic focus, so don't expect any detailed sketches.
    I can do rough though.
  10. Varkarrus

Varkarrus I have class

Nah, I have an artistic friend who excels at MS Paint, so he's going to draw cartoony-shaded MS Paint drawings of them, which I can shrink down and clean up.
    But he is also willing to look at a pokemon spriting tutorial.
  11. atomic

atomic ⓛ̸ⓘ҉̀͝ⓣ̸҉ⓔⓡ͜ⓐ̸ⓛ͞ⓛ͡͏ⓨ ͏͡͠ ̀

STARVOPTERYX

is a really cool idea

:333
  12. Varkarrus

Varkarrus I have class

It is fat and has slight man-boobs.
  13. atomic

atomic ⓛ̸ⓘ҉̀͝ⓣ̸҉ⓔⓡ͜ⓐ̸ⓛ͞ⓛ͡͏ⓨ ͏͡͠ ̀

oh i thought

i was thinking

[​IMG] + [​IMG] but more so @ o@

ehhehe carry on
  14. Varkarrus

Varkarrus I have class

That skeletal one is more closer to what peckish looks like. The original draft had visible ribs and a derpy expression.
  15. Varkarrus

Varkarrus I have class

Here is the current draft of my pokemon game! You can currently use 4 moves (one is super effective and one doesn't effect)

and you can flee and use pokeballs

http://www.freefilehosting.net/pokemon_4
  16. Amosmyn

Amosmyn Guest

So uh, I think this is the closest I got to making a decent, playable game in GML, besides some incomplete platformer engine. Its a basic multiplayer tank shooter, with multiple characters and stuff.

http://sigmanine.net/games/261/

Nucleose did the soundtrack. There's a whole load of other tracks he made, but he wanted to keep them unreleased until I either finished the single player mode or until he makes /mp3 versions of them all. They're excellent, though.
  17. Oh a game making thread? I'm game! :B

I use GM8.1 at the moment. I have trouble finishing stuff but I can be rather awesome with my coding sometimes. I tend to make only platformers though. I'd love to make like a pokemon clone (original game not a fangame) or a dungeon crawler or rpg or something but yeah. My focus kinda sucks :I
  18. So, I guess I'm going to start learning how to use OpenGL and I'm going to make a game in C++ with a primitive graphics engine. It's going to be a very, very simplistic platformer/shooter. Kind of like Contra except mine will suck a lot worse.

e: Holy shit guys, developing in OpenGL is really fucking complex.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2011
  19. KAMIKAZE'S ADVENTURES IN OPENGL!!!!
    With images!
    Note: No programming experience is needed to read this.
    Also, long story ahead.

So, as you may be able to tell with my last post, I started looking at OpenGL today! Here's the whole story:
    [​IMG]
    Kami at his computer, with hippie hair and all.

Kamikaze opened a new tab in his browser and looked up "OpenGL in C++" in his google search bar (that's right, he properly capitalises EACH AND EVERY FUCKING GOOGLE SEARCH). He got a nice list of tutorials and such! Smiling he clicks on the first link. He scrolls through all the introductory junk and goes to a more interesting section. He sees the title of the current section "Introduction to Windows Programming." What is this shit? He doesn't want Windows! His plan was to start on OSX and port to Windows because programming within a Windows environment is for tools. He keeps going through the tutorial in hopes it might get to some more generic stuff, but it just builds off a stupid Windows example. Then he finally reaches the OpenGL stuff on this page.
    [​IMG]

"What the fuck are they talking about? What is all this? I know a bit of C++, but this is no good, they aren't explaining anything properly." Kami goes back to his search, skips a few sites, then notices a promising one! It explains stuff really well! But... It is in Windows, and it says setting up OpenGL can be very different on different OSs. Great, that helps. He decides to type in "OpenGL in Linux C++." Ah! "Getting started" from OpenGL's own wiki! This should help!

Kami goes to this site and starts reading the steps.
    Fuck.
    [​IMG]
    He has to download other utilities. This can only end in pain.

Kami starts by downloading one utility for each of the requirements. The first requirement was rather easy, simply build it with make and you're ready! He goes to the next one hoping for similar results!

Nope. He can't seem to build it. There is a very funny file he has to deal with. It has a .lua extension, so he looks that up. Lua scripting language? Sure, I guess. He downloads the program for Lua, but then he finds out Lua doesn't run it like a python would run a python script. Reading up a bit, he discovers he needs a third party tool: premake. Kami goes and downloads that. It works! He's almost there! He tries to build it...

...but he gets the following error:
    He tries a couple more times knowing it isn't going to help. The allowed value for a long integer in his computer is too small. Damn. His other two choices for this is one that doesn't really work and one that has some strange requirements. What the hell, he thinks, lets go for it. He downloads the strange requirements one. This uses a python script for building instead of make. That simplifies things. He runs it. Then he reads the error output on the console: Warning: with is going to be implemented in 2.6. Kami's python is way out of date. Whatever, that's not too bad. He downloads a new version that even has a Mac installer file! Score! He installs it, then gets the same error. It didn't actually update python, it just gave him a new separate python console that doesn't seem to want to run his script. Kami goes back and gets the source code. He downloads it and builds it himself. This time, python installed correctly. Kami runs the script and gets the same error again. The new version of python was installed, but the alias still points to the old one. He makes the new alias himself and runs the script. This will finally work! Unless it doesn't. The script was written in python 2.6, and Kami just downloaded 3.something. His python is now too new. Since 3 they changed stuff that breaks old scripts. He goes back and finds out there are two supported versions now: 2.7 and 3.something. He downloads 2.7, makes another new alias and tries running it. It works! Kami now has everything he needs to program with OpenGL! It just took about 4 hours. Now Kami can start learning!
  20. biggs hoson

biggs hoson ghosts need love too

Dude I hate dealing with bullshit like that.

Honestly I would have given up at the extra requirements. Good for you for slogging through that crap.