[GAME CHAT] Consoles II: This time, its portable

Discussion in 'Pop Culture' started by MadameSB, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Triangle Man

Triangle Man Cautiously Optimistic

My friend has played this game and tells me that it's called 'The Painful RPG' for a reason. I'll probably pick up a copy once I finish some of the other titles in my collection (I'm severely behind right now. :/) It seems to be Earthbound-Inspired and also right up my alley. :)
  2. Almost Human

Almost Human Mightest of the Drunks Staff Member Bürgermeister

I feel your feels for being behind in games. I have so many on the go and no time to finish. And I don't want to play when I'm drunk (like tonight) for fear of fucking up my files.
    Let me know how it goes though, the 'painful' RPG sounds intriguing but terrible at the same time.
  3. Triangle Man

Oh totally agreed. I've mostly been playing Heathstone and Shovel Knight as of late, but not much aside from that. Which is fine, because the former is easy to pick up and play and the latter is friggin' amazing. :)

As for 'intriguing but terrible', that is exactly the impression of the game that I got from my buddy, so...

I will let you know how it goes, however.
  4. NotAPumpkin

NotAPumpkin Game maker and tie breaker

Dangan Ronpa 1 and 2 were on sale on the PSN...let's give this a shot, hehe.

EDIT:
    Okay, so I accidentally stayed up til 6am playing it, so yeah that's a thing. Oops.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  5. Almost Human

I'm still completely wrapped up in Dragon Age Inquisition, Fire Emblem Awakening and Destiny.
    I'm in a 3 game loop I may never escape.

Also, after a quick google search of Dangan Ronpa, I realize I have no idea what it is or what it's about except that it comes out of Japan. Or so it seems at least.
  6. NotAPumpkin

It's basically about 15 students who are supposed to be starting in a high school that accepts people who are ridiculously talented in a certain field (which could be anything, including Ultimate Fanfic Writer, Ultimate Baseball Player, Ultimate Fasionista, etc.), but when they show up at the school they are locked inside and sealed off from the world.

A demonic teddy bear tells them they either have to live there for the rest of their lives, OR they could try their hand at the escape method, which is "murder somebody else and get away with it." So if somebody dies, they have to hold a trial to see if they can figure out who did it. If the killer is caught, they die messily. If the group comes to the wrong conclusion, everybody else dies messily and the killer gets to leave.

Also the evil teddy bear keeps trying to antagonize everybody to get killing, so everything goes to hell quickly. It's a bit like Phoenix Wright crossed with Zero Escape (999, Virtue's Last Reward), with a dash of Persona.

I'm really enjoying it so far :3
  7. Almost Human

So are you trying to kill someone? Do you pick one of the 15 characters and have to try to use their talents to murder? It's an interesting concept, but I feel really weird admitting that the whole quarantining teens and forcing them to fight to the death is getting a bit stale for me.
    Yep, thought it would seem less strange after I typed it out but nope, still feels weird.
  8. NotAPumpkin

Haha I know, Japan really loves that plotline for some reason. Thanks, Battle Royale.

It's actually a visual novel where you're playing as the one average guy who doesn't want to kill anybody and doesn't want anyone else to die. So mostly you're Phoenix Wrighting whoever decides to pull off a murder, but also hanging out with the other students and exploring the school trying to figure out what the fuck is going on and if you can escape. Naturally there's some weird conspiracy going on.

Huh, that would be pretty cool too. I would totally play a game like that.
  9. Triangle Man

Having at least seen LPs of all of the first game (sort of) and most of the second, I can say that it's a good choice for mystery buffs, and you will more than likely get a metaphorical gut punch at some point or another. I've honestly seen better writing elsewhere, but the various exuberent personalities prove to be entertaining. Asahina and Ishimaru from the First Game and Kuzuryu and Tsumiki from the second are among my personal faves.

Also I would totally play a game like the one that AH described.

Maybe I should check out some more of this visual novel stuff, at least after I get through my latest spate of games (I finally got Guacamelee working and remembered how awesome a game Starbound was! :D). Got any recommendations?

Edit - one last thing - I may have mentioned this already, but I've also had my eye on this game ever since playing a demo at an Animation Convention that I was able to attend after my workplace gave us free passes. I'm a little nervous about it (as I get with some games), yet very interested in playing it. :)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  10. Almost Human

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Sorry for the fuzzy images, I only have my phone and also have been drinking.
    ANIMAL CROSSING!
  11. inexpediency

inexpediency Ruler of this [CHAT]

i don't know why that's so funny but i keep thinking about it and laughing
  12. Almost Human

There are so many points in the game too when it works so wonderfully and makes me laugh as well.
    "Send a letter to someone in prison?"
    "Would you like to stay or take the boat back to prison?"
    I can tell I'm going to get bored of the game soon, but it's great for taking my mind off all the things that are killing me right now.
  13. inexpediency

I played New Leaf pretty much daily for quite a while, but eventually it just loses its appeal (thank god for the beautiful town ordinance)
  14. Almost Human

Yeah I'm definitly starting to lose interest already but I'm trying to keep it up for my sister's sake.
    I think this is why I can't play free-to-play games; the need to wait for arbitrary time resets just kills my interest. I did, however, draw some fun pictures of my cross dressing mayor of prison; 100 bees.
  15. Swari

Swari Beepy Lobster Man

Robot Roller Derby Disco Dodgeball is on sale on Steam for $9. Go buy it so I have more people to play with, it's fun as hell.
  16. Almost Human

Iiii think I may have missed that sale. Sad, that sounds interesting.
    I just beat Dragon Age Inquisition after 200 hours of actual gameplay. I don't know how I feel about this. Good, I guess? but also sad.

Also, fun fact; I haven't actually lost interest in Animal Crossing yet. This may be a bad sign for my ongoing mental health.
  17. inexpediency

I played Inquisition on my laptop...it looked horrible and ran slow as hell but it was the only option I had and I wasn't just going to not play it (I got really into Dragon Age after Origin released Origins for free last year)
  18. Triangle Man

This is a year old but too funny not to share, I think.

19. Swari

Swari Beepy Lobster Man

SPLATATATATATATATATATATATATATATAT

SPLATOON

(who owns it/what is your nintendo id's)

Edit: oh right i suppose i should post mine, it's Swariiiiiiiiiiii. Just type my name and hit the i key until you can't anymore.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  20. im Terrorbuns add me so I can splat you

[splatoon is great get a wiiu NINTENDONINTENDONINTENDONINTENDO]