FOOD THREAD? FOOD THREAD.

Discussion in 'Sodom' started by Captain Zaven, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Cucurbita

Cucurbita Filled with Candy

Pretty good! I've been back from Canada for more than half a year now. I still miss it sometimes, haha. School's dull but I'm graduating soon so it could be worse.
    It's nice to see that everyone's still around and that I'm not completely forgotten either, haha.

The bananas were really nice snacks. I've been cooking a lot more lately (as in I do it occasionally as opposed to never). I quite enjoy it too.
  2. Triangle Man

Triangle Man Cautiously Optimistic

Heya, Cucu! It's been a while!

Glad you liked Canada!

...And what's that sauce on the side of the plate?
  3. Cucurbita

I had peanut butter and syrup with them, but the peanutbutter was definitely my favourite.
  4. canoe

canoe never odd or even

Hello Cucu!!! I am super happy to see you again and also glad to hear you had a good time in Canada! (I used to be kayak but I am now a canoe)

In food-related news, I started feeling depressed earlier and made Nutella hot chocolate and now I feel better #lifetips
  5. Cucurbita

Speaking of food lifetips, never have just coffee. Always eat something with it. Have something like a banana at least. Coffee doesn't actually give you any energy, it just bring what you have stored right up front.

I don't know if anyone else except me was unaware of this. Being told this made me quit some really unhealthy study habits though.
  6. Draga

Draga Cat Scratch Fever

I hate coffee. The smell, the taste. Just bleh.

I do, however, love a good cup of tea. Milky with 3 sugars is the way to go.
  7. canoe

canoe never odd or even

Oh man oh man I cooked scallops tonight for the first time ever!!! I am so proud of myself!!
    The ones I bought were super cheap in price and quality. Like, they fit every criteria online food blogs said to avoid. Frozen? Check. Water logged? Check. Fishy smell? Oh you bet that's a check. They reminded me a lot of small cotton balls in size and texture, like weird and fluffy instead of solid like meat. Seriously, we are talking like the shoddiest scallops ever.

Buuut I still dutifully thawed them and tried to dry them and seared them in a pan with olive oil and super high heat and some salt and by then they shrank even smaller, we are talking like marshmallow size here and on the plate they looked pretty ridiculous.

But they smelled good and were p tasty in my opinion and my boyf said he liked them and at the end of the day I have no income and ate scallops so successsss
  8. ky

ky comfort eagle

yay scallops yaaaaaaay they're so good
  9. Draga

Draga Cat Scratch Fever

I cooked pasta for the first time a few days ago! Had a nice bolognese with it and it was pretty damn good. I so proud with self :yay:
  10. canoe

canoe never odd or even

Boyf and I just made amazing salads for lunch! I wasn't a huge fan of salads until I realized you could essentially put whatever you wanted in it until it was super tasty

1/2 bag of salad mix
    3 hard boiled eggs
    1 tomato
    1 cucumber
    1 avocado
    Shredded carrots
    Mushrooms
    Candied almonds
    Unsalted sunflower seeds
    Salad dressing (Ranch for him, Thousand Island for me)

Then we ate it outside in the sun :)
  11. Varkarrus

Varkarrus I have class

good salad

lettuce
    feta
    croutons
    vinegrette seasoning
    seeds(???)

I can't remember what kind of seeds it had but it was excellent. e. oh wait it was sunflower seeds.
  12. ectocal

ectocal Hapster

One of my favorite salads:

Take some tomato slices
    Cut some fresh mozzarella into slices (fresh mozzarella comes in lumps, so slices are little circles)
    Place a mozzarella slice on each tomato slice
    Drizzle with vinaigrette or what-have-you

Super easy, super delicious
  13. Varkarrus

Varkarrus I have class

how to make a sald

fry up some bacon
    cut the lettuce
    get some croutons
    throw away that shit
    keep the bacon dat shit's the bomb
    add ground beef
    add taco seasoning
    add barbecue sauce for the dressing
    unthrow away the croutons
  14. ectocal

ectocal Hapster

How to make "College Glop"

1 box Rotini (1 lb)
    1 jar red sauce/marinara (1 lb 8 oz)
    1 lb ground beef
    4 oz cheddar cheese
    4 oz mozzarella cheese

Brown meat in medium size saucepan.
    Cook rotini to package directions.
    Shred cheese.
    Mix all ingredients together on medium-low heat. Stir until hot.

Cheese doesn't actually come in 4 oz blocks so I made a double recipe. I have a shit ton of leftovers and I haven't eaten anything else in the past 24 hours. I want to stop. But I can't.

I CAN'T.
  15. Draga

Draga Cat Scratch Fever

Gonna just file that recipe away for later. Sounds like some good-ass pasta.
  16. canoe

canoe never odd or even

Whoaaa guess who just made a totally tasty dinner??
    Answer: me. (also maybe you???)

So I expressed my horrendous frustration at not being able to cook last week due to my unrelenting nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. Now that I feel better, I am totally amped to start cooking again!!

I recently realized I rely on rice and pasta pretty heavily for my starch and decided to try branching out into the world of potatoes. I bought some sweet potatoes and also regular potatoes, cubed them, coated them in olive oil, salt, Spike seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder and dried rosemary and then oven roasted them. I also made some asparagus and zuccini using the same deal.

The chicken I decided to experiment with also. I like really tender and moist chicken, but my boyf really likes crispy skin, so I decided to slow cook some chicken thighs in my rice cooker. The chicken was already marinated with soy sauce, garlic powder, brown sugar and lemon juice, and then I put some water with salt and garlic in with it. After it cooked for about an hour and a half, I finished it in the oven. The result was totally moist and tasty chicken with a crispy skin!!

Altogether, it was a v tasty dinner. Boyf said it was restaurant quality, but he is biased in that I feed him. I am happy with how the meal turned out though!
  17. Almost Human

Almost Human Mightest of the Drunks Staff Member B├╝rgermeister

Whoah.
    That sounds amazing!
    I really need to invest in a friend who can cook. My sidekick that I made for dinner was quite fulfilling. I wholly endorse experimenting with potatoes, they're the one thing I can actually make well, and in a variety of ways.
    I know it's terrible for me, but making my own hashbrowns and frying them up makes me soooo happy, haha.
  18. ectocal

ectocal Hapster

Tonight I made my famous Pizza Burgers and they turned out AMAZING. Still got it. Uh huh.

In honor of that (and also because I am pretty drunk right now), I will tell you guys HOW TO MAKE AMAZING DELICIOUS BURGERS

YOU WILL NEED:
    -buns
    -SHARP cheddar cheese (as sharp as the deli has, cut into nickel-thick slices) (look up the width of an American nickel if you are not in America) (also, buy extra slices, in case something happens to one or two of them)
    -salt n pepper (optional)
    -meat
    -cutting board on which to work with the meat (those floppy plastic ones work best)

However much meat you need depends entirely on how many burgers you're making. You need enough for them all to be about a third of a pound. So for six burgers, about two pounds; for eight, two and two thirds (or three if they only sell full pounds)

WHAT KIND OF MEAT, YOU ASK? And rightly so. If your grocery store offers it, AND if you can afford it, I highly recommend GROUND BISON. It tastes real good and it's better for you. Failing that, you will need GROUND BEEF. "But ectocal," you say, "the store has many kinds of ground beef!" THAT THEY DO. You should get GROUND ROUND (15% fat, 85% lean) or GROUND CHUCK (20% fat, 80% lean) to make good burgers. I personally prefer ground round.

FORMING THE PATTIES
    This is the most important step.
    Take the meat and really work with it with your hands. Just get all up in there. Make it a nice big lump o' meat.
    You WILL need to wash your hands often throughout this whole process (not just this part), cuz you're working with raw meat.
    Once you have a nice big lump, separate it into eight smaller lumps, all of equal size (assuming you want to make eight burgers; the number of lumps will be the number of burgers you have, natch).
    Roll each lump into a vaguely spherical shape. Remember working with model clay in art class when you were nine? And they told you to make a sphere? Same principle. If one sphere looks too big, or looks to small, redistribute the meat a little.
    Now, take one of your little lumps, and SLAM it down onto the cutting board. Mold it into a burger patty. You know what a burger patty looks like, right? Of course you do, it's a freakin' burger. BUT HERE'S THE THING: You're not making weak-ass tinyburgers here. So you need to do some MOLDING.
    If you have a grill (and know how to use it), proceed to part A. If not, skip to part B.

PART A
    Oh, you've got a grill, neat-o!
    First, Pam the grill (or apply some other cooking spray or whatever. This part is mostly optional). After cleaning the grill, you should toast the buns first before you cook the patties.
    Oh wait, though, I haven't told you how to mold the patties yet! OF COURSE
    What you want to do is spread most of the meat to the outside. There should be a BIG OL DENT in the middle. This is because the outside of the burger cooks first. IF YOU DO NOT MAKE THE DENT BIG ENOUGH, YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS. Your burger will be a ball instead of a burger. And that's no fun for anybody.
    Okay, so now that you've got a spectacular patty mold, toss those fuckers onto the grill (after the buns have been toasted, of course). YOU WILL ONLY FLIP THEM OVER ONCE. When will that be? When they begin to juice (i.e., when you see liquid appear on the top of each burger).
    If you like, apply a liberal amount of pepper and a less liberal amount of salt to both sides of the patties as they're cooking.
    Now, apply the cheese. Yes, while it's still on the grill. Put a slice of your super-sharp cheddar on each patty. Mmm-mm, that'll melt nicely.
    PROCEED TO PART C

PART B
    No grill, huh? Stovetop cooking for you, my friend. Put a pan on the stove and turn on the burner. DO NOT PUT ANYTHING IN THE PAN UNTIL THE PAN HAS HEATED UP.
    Make those patties SUPER THIN. They will widen up as they are cooked. On a grill, uniform flatness would mean they turn into balls, but you have a SPATULA, man! Keep that thing flat yourself!
    Oh, but before you toss any patties into the pan, toss in the buns. Toast em up real nice. Mmmm, yeah, just like that. Lordy.
    Okay, now you're all set for the patties. Toss in however many you think you can manage at a time. Flip them over AS INFREQUENTLY AS POSSIBLE. If you can get away with only flipping them once, that's the dream, you have a dream patty there.
    If you like, apply a liberal amount of pepper and a less liberal amount of salt to both sides of the patties as they're cooking.
    If you want, you can also put the cheese on top of the burger as it's cooking, but only if you're sure you won't need to flip it again. Honestly, it's not something that I recommend if you do while pan-cooking.
    CONTINUE TO PART C

PART C
    THE BURGERS WILL LOOK DONE BEFORE THEY ARE ACTUALLY DONE. I'm as big a fan of rare meat as the next guy, but dude, you don't want undercooked beef (or bison). Let them stay in a little longer than you think they should. Be safe about it. Salmonella is serious business, no joke. That's also why you should wash your hands after ANY POINT you've touched raw meat with your bare hands while making this recipe.

AND THERE YOU HAVE IT. At this point, simply slide your delicious patties onto your toasted buns. Apply ketchup, mustard, and mayo (or, alternatively, BBQ sauce) to taste and chow the fuck down. You've earned it, you magnificent motherfucker.
  19. inexpediency

inexpediency Ruler of this [CHAT]

throw some butter and sugar and cream into a pan until it gets vaguely caramelly and then add a handful of nuts and a chopped up banana and pour that shit over ice cream yea yea yea

hot fruit with cold ice cream is my mortal weakness
  20. ectocal

ectocal Hapster

Tonight was the first time I cooked in a while. Didn't do anything too complicated. Bought a nice jar of sauce (something with an ingredient list that implies that it was made by humans in a kitchen, and has less than 300% of your daily value of sodium). Got some polenta (I kinda wanted to buy a different kind because this one did have shit like "ascorbic acid" which upon looking it up is just vitamin C? but anyway the other brands either took 30 min to prepare or their labels were in Italian). Got some chicken breasts (was hoping for turkey but eh I'll take what I can find).

Fried up the chicken in butter on low heat, with some Italian seasoning. This took a while, but totally worth it, since it cooked all the way through and didn't burn, a feat I've found difficult to do in the past because I was impatient. Once the chicken was done, I pulled it apart, so I had a nice pile of chicken shreds. (It ended up being a bigger pile than I needed so I had some shredded chicken to snack on later.)

Then, I poured the jar of sauce into a saucepan, and turned the heat on medium-low. I added what chicken I could without it being too much. Then I let it sit, with the heat on, stirring it when I felt like it.

Then I cut the pre-made polenta (seriously, real polenta takes AGES to make) into disks and fried em up in olive oil. I think I underdid a few of them but that's ok. By the time they were finished the sauce was nice and hot.

Then I just poured the chicken-and-spicy sauce over a few polenta disks. I called it "chicken-and-spicy" sauce just now because the jar was labelled "spicy pasta sauce". I poured it over polenta instead of pasta because I do not play by the rules.

The end result was pretty freakin good. Though it's possible I only felt that way because I had downed most of a double gin & ginger ale. I feel bad I don't feel more hungry, but hey, lots of leftovers.