Comics Chat: I Shall Become A Chat!

Discussion in 'Pop Culture' started by inexpediency, Jul 19, 2011.

1. biggs hoson

biggs hoson ghosts need love too

2. Tesseract

Tesseract Regrets Choices Thus Far

we should have a webcomics thread
  3. biggs hoson

I will make it.
  4. inexpediency

inexpediency Ruler of this [CHAT]

Impulse was on Young Justice and I was really

underwhelmed

......................................................................................

also I recently read Red Son and Superman For All Seasons after both my dad and my boyfriend recommended them to me

I liked Red Son okay (it didn't really live up to all my expectation) and I really liked Superman For All Seasons like hot damn that's some good comics right there

but now I really wish I were home so I can reread the whole runs of Impulse and Young Justice and Teen Titans Go and privately fangirl over them like I used to because it's been a while
  5. Almost Human

Almost Human Mightest of the Drunks Staff Member Bürgermeister

How could they have Impulse on young Justice if they have Kid flash = Wally West?
    well I suppose he's a time traveler so he could technically come back at any time period he wanted, just seems a bit weird is all.
  6. Triangle Man

Triangle Man Cautiously Optimistic

Who is this 'Impulse' you speak of and can he literally 'Run Through Time'?
  7. ky

ky comfort eagle

[​IMG]

i'm not up on comics at all but apparently in the Ultimate universe Obama is dead and now Captain America is President and also a mutant segregationist? ok.
  8. biggs hoson

No he was running out of it.
  9. inexpediency

So I just finished Watchmen for the first time

yup
  10. inexpediency

My boyfriend is looking for recs for "any good x-23 or doctor doom or magneto stories"

but I don't know beans about Marvel so I thought I'd ask around here
  11. Almost Human

X-23: Target X is supposed to be pretty good, and I had NYX recommended to me back in the day. I didn't read it myself, since the character has absolutely no appeal to me, but it still sounded good.

As Doom, I always kind of liked the "Unthinkable" storyline, where Doom actually turns to magic to find a way to fight Reed Richards, since Reed is pure Science. There's also Doctor Strange and Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment, which shows Doom's more...err... I guess noble side? He's still a dick throughout, but his epic quest to save his mother from hell is pretty intense. I'm not a huge fan of the art, but it appeals to some people.

The only Magneto story I can think of that really left any sort of impact on me was X-Men: Magneto Testament. It's a 6 part mini series taking place during the holocaust that really explores Magneto's origin and by all that is lovely am I into the art, especially the covers. It's not an easy story, or at least it wasn't for me, but no Magneto story really should be.
  12. inexpediency

Thanks a ton! I kinda figured you'd be the one giving me all these ~sweet recs~
  13. inexpediency

14. Almost Human

D'aww that makes me want to go back and re-read my impulse collection!
    And reminds me that I still have some holes to fill in with that collection....

Also in comic news, I got the 1st issue of the Spiderman re-boot/launch/whatever for my birthday. Why, you may ask?
    Special Nova Scotia variant cover, bitchessss.

Also I now own every Hellblazer trade. Expect pictures once I move into my new place and have enough bookshelf space.
  15. catGenes

catGenes Got a spooky feline

...Apparently Marvel comics is now a fandom I have, halp. I am apparently a fangirl and the internet hates me, because I am genuinely enjoying the adventures of teenage-jerk-but-mostly-not-evil-Loki. I mean, it's pretty divisive, but I found Young Avengers v2 pretty fun, and Agent of Asgard's awesome amounts of fun, or it was before this whole summer event thing. And I went back and read the Kid Loki stuff and that was fun in a hugely depressing way, so. What am I doing with my life?

Then again, I used to be a huge Runaways/v1 YA fan back in the day. Still sad the Runaways are apparently split for good, given Avengers Undercover.

I'm also reading Wolverine and the X-Men, because apparently teenage superheroes are just the thing I read these days.
  16. Almost Human

Fuck the internet and enjoy the SHIT out of that.
    I'm serious. The internet is ragging on me for being a 'fairweather fanboy' with Thor, ignoring the fact that I've been actively collecting physical Thor comics on and off since the 90's, and I suspect I'll get the same treatment with John Constantine once that show debuts. You will not win with the internet, or with a lot of comic fans in general so sincerely and truly; fuck them with the most hateful of dildos and enjoy.

On that note, I have told myself I won't be buying any new comics until I move to my new place (yes I know, it's a brief glimmer of foresight that you normally wouldn't get with me) so I haven't gotten to check out Agents of Asgard in it's entirety but I admit being thoroughly amused by the glimpses of it I have seen. I'd love a quick overview of what the series is about (are they fighting bad guys? Just pranking around?) if you have a moment to sum it up. :)
  17. catGenes

Sure! Hmm. Basically, Loki died during the Siege crossover event, and then stuff happened and he came back, and now Loki is younger, technology savvy, and less evil. He's still a malicious tricky little jerk sometimes, but he's Chaotic Neutral these days. And as part of his rebirth and maybe-rehabilitation, he's working for the current rules of Asgard as their sneaky agent of doing sneaky things in return for having the old Loki's crimes removed from the books. It's a slightly tongue-in-cheek fantasy-spy comic (for the five issues that are out so far). The first issue is Loki saving Thor from himself, and the ones after that are mostly Loki retrieving rogue Asgardians, and then 5 basically makes a massive plot twist, and at the moment it's on hiatus so who knows what it is now?

It's like massively spoilery for the Kid Loki arcs of Journey into Mystery/Thor and Young Avengers v2 though, so I'm trying not to go into massive detail just in case.

But basically Loki's the viewpoint character, it's a lot of fun, and issue 1 has a pretty neat summary of the spoilers if you don't want to read Young Avengers. It also has Loki actually interacting with Thor in a brotherly way, and I really like the new female character they intro'd even if I'm almost alone on that one.

Loki sort of sums it up best himself, honestly.

[​IMG][​IMG]

...for obvious reasons Teen Loki gets decried a lot as basically cashing in on the Hiddleston popularity, even though he's nothing like Hiddleston-Loki. Also have a random panel of Loki knowing internet terminology and talking to Thor because it amuses me.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2014
  18. Almost Human

Hey now Marvel, let's be consistent! Thor has a youtube account!
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the explanation though! And to be fair, if you follow comics enough you can tell when the comic writers are cashing in on their movie trends, but that's not a bad thing! They open the doors to new kinds of readers and writers jumping on to these existing characters. Hell, Hawkeye hadn't really had his own solo book since the 90's until the movies came along and his new series (or at least the two trades I have of it) are fantastic!

People should be glad that readers on jumping on these trends anyway, since the sale of any Marvel comic goes to (essentially) fund the creation of more Marvel comics, no matter what the reason for their sales. The Spiderman movies funded my Thor comics, and the current Loki love (and the imminent Guardians of the Galaxies revivals) will allow some bitter, elitist, asshole comic collector to get their obscure bullshit that no one currently cares about, or continue a beloved character they've attached on to and claimed as their own.

Personally, I love it. I haven't seen this quality in comics in ages and I hope it continues!
  19. catGenes

New Hawkeye solo is also awesome, although mostly for Hawkeye. Hawkguy is okay, but Hawkeye has all my love :p
  20. Almost Human