Anime Club

Discussion in 'The Arts' started by biggs hoson, Jan 2, 2013.

1. biggs hoson

biggs hoson ghosts need love too

I think it's high time we properly honoured the flawless craft of Japanimation.

[​IMG]

I think that's all that needs to be said.
  2. NotAPumpkin

NotAPumpkin Game maker and tie breaker

I'm surprised at how long it took for this to become a thing, now that I think about it...
    Thanks for filling this void in our lives, Bigman!

(now everybody go watch Gurren-Lagann)
  3. biggs hoson

Okay so a couple nights ago I watched Redline and I still cannot get over how fucking ridiculously great it is.
  4. Triangle Man

Triangle Man Cautiously Optimistic

Hey, shouldn't this be in the pop culture section of the forums?

Regardless, that comic in the first post really is a thing of beauty.

Source, please?
  5. ectocal

ectocal Hapster

thats a gunshow strip
  6. biggs hoson

Triguy are you trying to tell me that anime is not an art??

If so you can just get the fuck out of my sight.
  7. Draga

Draga Cat Scratch Fever

Anime? Oh so very yes. Watching anime is pretty much my second favourite hobby (with video games taking the number one spot). Right off the bat, I have a few recommendations for anyone who wants a good show. Be warned that I am terrible at describing things don't expect anything verbose or

Baccano!
    First off we have Baccano!, adapted from a series of light novels by Ryohgo Narita and easily one of my Top 3 favourite anime series. Set in Prohibition-era New York, it features gangsters, alchemists, immortality, murders and one of the best dubs since Cowboy Bebop. Watch it. Now.

Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex
    Cyberpunk the Anime, although not quite as dark and dystopian as most cyberpunk stories. Set in a future Japan after WWIII and WWIV, technology has advanced to the point where nearly everyone is a cyborg. The series follows the counter-terrorist task force Section 9 as they do counter-terrorist stuff. Looks absolutely amazing for a 10 year old show, matching and sometimes exceeding the art of many modern day shows. Also has a fantastic soundtrack by anime music legend Yoko Kanno.

Soul Eater
    Take the holiday of Halloween and turn it into an anime. You get this. Another mermber of my Top 3, Soul Eater follows the students of the Death Weapon Meister Academy, a schoo; where normal humans called Meisters team up with those who can turn themselves into weapons. These Meister/Weapon teams work together to collect the souls of those who have turned to evil and are on their way to becoming demons known as Kishins. This show looks great, the characters are great, the action is great, the humor is great, the music is great. This show is just great. However, around half way though it goes off into it's own story that doesn't follow the manga, which may not sit well with some.

I'll write some more recommendations tomorrow, but right now it's 3:45 AM and I'm tired as fuck.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2013
  8. Haha oh man, I didn't think anyone else had seen Redline, but if I had found this thread I would have realized Big Man had seen it eight days prior to my stream XD

Yeah I loved it too.

I watched Soul Eater recently, and I can vouch for everything Draga said. In regards to the music, I had the first opening theme on my ipod before I even considered looking into the story :p

Of course I also have to recommend One Piece. But I should warn anyone interested that there is over 500 episodes. I'm going to be honest, even though I've read all the manga chapters I'm hilariously far behind on the anime.

Speaking of hilarious, there's also Ghost Stories, but not the original. The story goes that the original was so bad that the English dub team and voice actors were told to just do whatever they wanted. If you didn't know any better you'd think it was an abridged series. You've probably seen screencaps of it floating around on the internet.
  9. Draga

Draga Cat Scratch Fever

Oh god, the Ghost Stories dub is one of the most hilarious things I've heard.

"You're such brave, strong, handsome men....haveyouacceptedJesusasyourpersonalsavior?"

"Principles always look like lesbians."

"I know now that it could never work between us! As much as we wanted to it could never be! Not because you're a rabbit, but because you're black..."
  10. That last one was probably the best line in the series, because it was absolutely the strangest thing I'd heard. That entire episode was just a cacophony of craziness.

And oh my King of all Cosmos Born-Again Christian Momoko is my favorite character.

Also: "I come from a long line of quasi-lesbian ghost killers!"
  11. lovelyAssistant

lovelyAssistant Made of language

Oh god, I need to rewatch Ghost Stories, stop reminding me.

Also, anyone who hasn't watched Monster needs to go and do so immediately. I don't care that it's over 70 episodes, go watch it.
  12. I need to finish Ghost Stories. I was about halfway through before I got distracted by something else.
  13. Xenothral

Xenothral Your Friendly Neighbourhood Space Captain

Everyone needs to go watch Steins Gate. Right now. All of you. I demand it.

It's got time travel and a main character who I can relate to quite a lot.
  14. CSJ

CSJ Guest

What are the rules of anime club?

Also; Planetes is the best.
  15. biggs hoson

Rule number one is no anime
  16. NotAPumpkin

NotAPumpkin Game maker and tie breaker

I just finished reading Gash Bell (Zatch Bell in English). I had vaguely recalled seeing a few episodes of the anime in the past and was kind of wondering how it ended.

It was adorable and strangely touching and also had lightning dragons, so it turned out to be surprisingly pretty good. It's sort of like Pokemon except with magic children instead of 'mons and an insane amount of The Power of Friendship. Also it has a bizarre sense of humor.
    All in all, it was fun.
  17. biggs hoson

rule number two is THERE ARE NO RULES
  18. Varkarrus

Varkarrus I have class

i have watched all of neon genesis evangelion except the birth and redeath movie because it didn't come with subtitles... HOW AM I SUPPOSE TO UNDERSTAND JAPANESE...
  19. Xenothral

Xenothral Your Friendly Neighbourhood Space Captain

Well just watch like a million anime and then you'll get it. (No you won't)
  20. Draga

Draga Cat Scratch Fever

So a few days back it was announced that Fate/Zero is getting dubbed.

You have no idea how happy I am about this.